what is your christmas family tradition?

Married2theBest

Asked by Married2theBest at 12:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Holidays

• One of our traditions is 'someone dresses as Santa Claus and then he gives out presents one by one. As your name is called to get your present, you have to either sing a song, tell a joke, dance etc.' My kids plan (and practice) all year long for Christmas. It really makes them try to discover different talents and then work on them. It IS mostly for the kids. As for me and my husband, we just have to give one another a kiss, or do a little dance. Or give the person who gave you the gift a hug or take a pic with them.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Our start w/ a youth choir mass on Christmas eve at 3:30, then dinner at his parents. They get gifts there, then we come home in our pjs. Do the Advent wreath, singing, Santa cookies and milk, reindeer food, then bedtime. Then santa workshop comes to life for adult children and parents. We crash around 4am, and hope they sleep in til at least 7. One by one, they get up, but No one is allowed down the stairs until parents are up, and everyone is awake, and pottied. Then they line up on the steps and wait patiently there as dad gets the camera, and me the coffee. In their pjs on the steps, we stall for my parents to arrive, and we sing a round of "Happy Birthday" to Jesus, and thank Him for the Blessings. The stockings come next, then presents under the tree from santa, breakfast, and relax.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 12:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Christmas dinner is always on Christmas Eve (usually roast beef) then we watch movies and snack on leftovers until we have dessert at night. After dessert the kids get baths and then get to open gifts from each other and 1 gift from us and then another movie before bed. In the morning they can play with anything in their stockings or that isn't open until mom and dad get up (hasn't actually happened yet, I'm always up before them for some reason or another).
    Other then that we use the same tree every year and the same ornaments (some older then I am) and the same posters that I remember from my childhood and I bake cookies, just like my mom did.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2008