Moral decline???

Or more people getting caught??? Do you believe that morality has declined in the past few decades or is it just harder for many people to hide who they really are?? People have been molesting children, murdering and cheating on their spouses since the beginning of time, if you ask me it's just harder to keep it quiet these days.....

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 12:52 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think its about the same. The only difference is we have the internet and can spread a story happening in a town 2000 miles away in a matter of minutes via email, blogs and message boards. We also have many cable news channels and trash talk shows, and trash "news" programs who will latch onto any story for ratings.

Answer by gemgem at 12:54 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't believe in a "moral decline"
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:56 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I think some things have changed. There has always been a siut in class, but now girls think they have to have sex with every boy they meet to get good? How stupid is that!
    I have been around teens a lot and i have seen it and they have told me.

Media has a way of making thing that are wrong look normal.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I do believe that there is a decline. Unfortunately society has become "accepting" of such disgraceful behavior. It no longer is a big deal for people to cheat, if you don't like who you are married to just get a divorce, the language on TV has become shocking...so on. I agree to that technology has made it easier to spread stories, so you hear about things each day. I try so hard to raise my children the way I feel is right, but due to everything they see and hear other people doing, it is sooooo hard!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 1:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I do not know what to call it but my gut tells me that things are off.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Yes, I believe we are having a moral decline
    Yes, I believe more people are getting "caught."

I also see that immorality is being embraced by some as simply another a way of living and therefore cannot be immoral.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:33 PM on May. 19, 2011

• There is no moral decline, people have been doing the same things for ages, only now, everyone finds out quicker, I agree with you!

Answer by older at 2:14 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I wonder sometimes if it's not even a decline, but a change in how we see things. I think it was traditionally easier for people to turn their backs on certain behaviors, and pretend they didn't happen. But now we see terrible things being done, and we speak out for the victims who cannot or will not speak for themselves. I also think that things like cheating on a spouse, etc are no longer thought of as "dirty little secrets". It's always happened, but now the person being cheated on stands up for themselves.

And on the flip side (I'm going to regret opening this can of worms probably), things like homosexuality have also always been there, it's just that now we have to label everyone and ourselves so that now those who wouldn't normally be exposed to certain lifestyles, are seeing them. I don't think that's a bad thing, but some people will swear that's part of the "moral decline."
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:15 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Hmmm... did that even make a bit of sense to anyone else?
    anime_mom619

• I don't think there is any larger percentage of people engaging in immoral activities than there has been in the past. I simply think that it is harder for them to hide it. Because of things like the feminist movement, gay equality, and the sexual revolution, people have become a lot more open and honest when talking about sex, and because of that it is much easier for rape victims to come forward rather than living in fear and shame as they have had to in the past. It's also become easier in the past half century for women to leave abusive husbands and support themselves, but that doesn't mean that there are more abusive relationships, they just aren't as hidden anymore.

In addition, since the advent of cable TV, we are hearing a lot more stories concerning immoral activities, but this is simply because these media outlets know that is what will make them money.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 2:31 PM on May. 19, 2011