Who here thinks adult content

KIDS GET AWAY WITH ALOT MORE THAN OUR GENERATIONS DID BEHAVIOR WISE (I REMEMBER PICKING SWITCHES AND GETTING SOAP FOR DISOBEYING OR DISRESPECTING ANY ADULT )

mamabeard3

Asked by mamabeard3 at 12:57 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I feel as though parents are getting lazy at keeping up with the discipline with their children. Or making excuses for their horrid behavior.My best friends daughter is 2 1/2 and she is so MEAN and bratty!! When ever i say something to her she always tells me "she is two, its just a stage and i get so tired of getting after her" HELLO part of being a good parent is keeping up on your discipline. Starting at a young age helps to ensure their behavior does not worsen as they get older because  sometimes by then its too late. They are already set in the bad ways...then we end up with rotten disrespectful teenagers.

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 1:52 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Do you want to beat your child with a switch like what was done to you?
    There IS a happy medium between that and not disciplining

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I grew up in the 80s and I think that was around the time child abuse was becoming more widely disscussed in the media. I remember one time telling my mom she couldn't hit me or I would call CPS. She handed me the phone and said go ahead they'll take you, not me lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Hell yeah they do. I feel like I can't really discipline my kids because everyone is so damn quick to call CPS. Its never happened to me, But I have a nosey as hell neighbor who called animal control on us because the dog was out in the sprinkles. Not rain, sprinkling. And soon as she hears a noise she is outside investigating it. She drives me crazy. I don't want to yell or spank for fear that she may try and report me
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:00 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Why would you even need to have that conversation with CPS?

No, I don't think children get away with a lot more. I read all the time how children now-a-days are spoiled and parents don't care, etc, etc. I'm sure our parents thought the same thing, as did theirs. There will always be parents who let their children get away with more, and there will be parents who discipline more.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:17 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I did too, and I agree with you. I believe a lot of it has to do with more child abuse cases coming to light. Many people are afraid to punish their children in fear of criminal charges, I spank my kids; always have and always will, it's not a crime.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• back then though, kids were also allowed to roam the streets more & get into stuff they weren't supposed to. Both my mom & dad joke about how they would do all kinds of things behind their parents back, because they were allowed to go just about anywhere without them. But, they did get the "switch" for sure...

Maybe parents are more lax now with switches & whatnot, but i also think parents are more protective than they used to be.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Kids seem more ruthless these days Idk why but I guess it's from learning from their older siblings? if they are this way? & so on & so on....I think when I was growing up we had much more fear of our parents "a healthy scare" I guess you can call it. Sometimes home schooling does appeal to me for these reasons. Idk...
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:17 PM on May. 19, 2011

• cops will tell you the same thing about spanking lol its not illegal.. hell if i can sign a paper that allows my kids school to spank them with a board then i can damn sure spank my kids with my hand...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 1:19 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I agree with lil momma . I am an old fashioned mom, my children are spanked when necessary , they are polite, courteous and do well at school so I must be doing something right . Having seen teenagers run riot , disrespecting their parents to the point their parents can't control them and try to buy them off by throwing money at them , I vowed it would not happen to us . And it won't .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:53 PM on May. 19, 2011