Fair? My son didn't get in to an accelerated high school because he's shy.

We applied for a HS in which he'd graduate with an AA degree. It's very small and the classes include a lot of group work etc. His grades are impeccable so the only negative comment the enrollment director made was that she was "concerned that he wouldn't fit in with the kids because he's so shy and quiet." Ok, so my kid misses out an top notch education because he's not a bubbly clone?! Does that sound right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Did the school actually tell you this was the reasoning?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• no...that would really piss me off! But then again, i might not want my child going there if that's how they expect students to be...all alike...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Of course it doesn't sound right. I would complain big time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Who are they to say if he'd fit in or not? How pompous!

What kind of recourse do you have? Surely, you can fight this, no?
    Anonymous

• Sounds like Bullshit to me. Go raise hell mama! I would
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• They look for kids who can work independently with a group and wont be afraid to speak up and ask questions. It sounds more like they were concerned he might not be outgoing enough to do that?

Answer by gemgem at 1:03 PM on May. 19, 2011

• The school sounds great and probably has a lot of applicants. Any kind of negative comment could keep your child from getting in if the competition is great enough. I would try again next year. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:03 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Well, thing is grades are not the only thing that determines how successfull you will be. Having an outgoing personally, being able to speak in front of groups, and being able to lead groups is also very very important. They are looking for successful students, not just A grade students.
    Anonymous

• Is it a private school? Unfortunately, private schools usually reserve the right to accept/decline whoever they want. Maybe there was another reason and they just used the shyness as an excuse? Who knows. I wouldn't want my kid to go there anyway if that was the case. I'm sure there are other schools just as good if not better that he would be welcomed with open arms at.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 1:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I think kids can still take classes through community colleges if they're 16. Do it outside the school system, and say screw them!
    Anonymous