Anyone been through a military move????? I need help!!

My husband and I are making our first military move, and we are having troubles finding answers and were supposed to be moving in about 2 weeks. I need some help and advice. We are broke and were told we have to pay for everything and will be reimbursed when we get there. But we don't have any extra money to get there. Any advice would help.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 1:04 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• It has been several years for me, so I'm not 100% sure. But I think the moving company is payed straight from the military, so you shouldn't have to worry.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 1:08 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I ca help you. send me a message! I've moved 12 times in the last 8 years with the military
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:14 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Is this a DITY move? If that's the case, yes you do pay out of pocket, and they reimburse you after you get to your destination. If not, the military should have scheduled a company to come and pack your stuff for you and to actually move it. In that case, you don't pay anything, the military pays the company straight out. What other questions do you have?
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 3:30 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I think its a ditty move because my husband came home after training to do hometown recruiting for two weeks before we head to Texas. Any suggestions on how I do handle getting there. Its an 18 hour drive from here and we also have a 2 year old and pretty much no money to get there on. Do we have to pay the moving company as well then?
    ashtonjames

Comment by ashtonjames (original poster) at 9:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Yes you have to pay up front for this first move. Just did that. I suggest driving mainly at night so baby sleeps and less traffic. Go talk to ACS if you are near a base. If all else fail DH can get flown there on the military dime and come get you in a week. We had to take out loans.

When you get there, you will need to fill out ditty move paperwork, which will include mileage, and weight of vehicles, empty and full. Also how ever much moving company charged. We filled a u-haul and left what didn't fit.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:20 AM on May. 21, 2011

• BTW if this is his first duty station, the military WILL NOT move you. Like I said, we just went through this. We had a nice long argument trying to move my family. The NEXT time you move, there will be all kinds of help available.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:22 AM on May. 21, 2011