My son is 23 months old he woke up thismorning with a really runny nose, the mucus was green to begin with but is clear at times too. Taking his temperature in his ear ranges 94-95 degrees and I havent gotten a rectal reading over 95.9. Do you think its serious?

blakesmom06

Asked by blakesmom06 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like a runny nose.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I would call the pediatrician. It could be serious. Some infections, even sepsis, can cause the body temp to lower instead of rise. Someone must be on call. That is a pretty low temp. Do you have a rectal thermometer? They are usually more accurate. Let us know how he makes out.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Oops sorry, I just read you did take it rectally. I would definately call.
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I hope I didn't freak you out with my answer. I didn't mean that it had to be serious, just that I wouldn't assume that everything was fine. It probably is. Two degrees isn't a big deal, but four would concern me. Ear thermometers are not always accurate though. Have you taken his temp lately?
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I took it a little bit ago again, its still low. But I put him in sweats and in my bed with a bigger blanket then is in his room, just to see if it will bring the temp up some. We dont have a phone and my boyfriend seems to think I am worring over nothing, so for now we are just monitering him to see if he gets any worse. I just wanted to know if others think I am not worring enough. I appreciate your input and no you didnt freak me out-lol. I have been trying to look up anything on low temps online for about 2 hours, but theres nothing real informative out there.
    blakesmom06

Answer by blakesmom06 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• teething! my son would have runny noses like that and i would take him to the doctors and they would say its because of teething. if yours isn't running a temperature i wouldnt worry. just means your lil one is getting those pearly whites in! you can help him feel better by giving him some infant tylenol
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• That temp is on the low side. Which can mean an infection. Some infections cause the body to cool which isnt good. But if he warms up after being up and moving or under other blankets he probably just has a runny nose. Just watch and see...
    Anonymous

• thank you all for your input, his temp is back to normal today! He still has a runny nose and his eyes are red and puffy so its probably just a cold. but he is in a good mood so I am feeling a lot better now. thanks again!
    blakesmom06

Answer by blakesmom06 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2008