Suspended for talking back

My 15 year old daughter was suspended for two day for talking back to her teacher. I had to meet with her principal when I took her back to school he told me that my daughter was a SNOT. I knew she was a snot I just was unaware what a SNOT she is outside our home. HELP

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 12:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Funny how we instill in our children that they should stand up for what they believe then when they do we punish them and call them names. It's possible she could have been more respectful in class but if she had something to say of value (not just cursing a teacher) then it should have been praised not punished. My sister always called me a SNOT. I'm proud of who I am. I'm proud I stood up to others when I was younger and spoke my mind. I was respectful but I didn't accept what someone said just bc they said it. I wanted things proved to me. Unless she said something terrible I'd go to the school board and have them reinstate her and demand she be given an excused absence to make up her work. Tell her to always be a snot. She might run our country some day and we need gutsy females like her! Always stand up for what you/she believes in. That is what this country is founded on.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Well as a teacher I'm surprised at the principals lack of professionalism in calling ur daughter names. But congrats to ur daughter for being a snot! Lol girls who stand up for themselves will go far, maybe a lil rough around the edges now but will be a strong independant woman I hope!
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 12:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• yeah, also kinda shocked that the principal would name call, but I agree with the suspension. Too many kids get away with talking back to adults. The fear/reverence for adults just isn't there anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• At our school they have a "SRC" center (student repsponsibity center) if they do something like that they get send there for the rest of the class and have to write a report on how they could have handled themselves better. If you get 5 of those you have to go to a Saturday SRC. We won a "Blue Ribbon" award nationally for this program. It sure beats missing 2 days of school. If feel for you, it must have been terribly embarassing! Dang kids.
    njt320

Answer by njt320 at 8:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I'm gonna say "go principal" for having the guts to stand up to these snotty teen agers and their parents!! Maybe now she will understand that she has to be respectful to people!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• There is different ways of standing up for yourself. You can do it professionally or you can be a snot about it. I give the principle kudos also for taking a stand. So many parents today do not realize how the kids of today do treat their elders or authority figures. They believe just because they are in school and away from home, it is a free world. Parents also seem to be leaving the "raising" to teachers also.
    My son has served many detentions this year because of his attitude and not following the rules in school. I stand behind the teachers for doing it. My son also is fined money at school when serving detention. It comes out of his pocket therefore he has to work the extra at home to come up with it.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 3:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• We're in the same boat, except my daughter is 12 and grounded until she decides to be a contributing member to society. Kids are just going through a lot these days.....make sure the teachers are provoking her in anyway...it might not all be her fault. Being bullied or talked about makes you act in all kinds of ways.
    kkgrls

Answer by kkgrls at 12:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It sounds like her attitude needs adjusting at home and away from home. Again my advice would be put the skids to her right now. Things will get worse if you don't. She needs to write some letters of apology and be respectful of others whether she likes it or not. While she is home I would say that she does not call anyone or jump on the computer to tell everyone what a cool thing she did. This will get her nowhere in life. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 6:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2008