How can I get my 7 month old to sleep without being swaddled?

He will be 8 months on the 30th. But he still HAS to be swaddled. He WILL NOT sleep if he's not. I've tried to refusing to swaddle him and when he is laid in his crib he wakes right back up. If he's tired enough you can hold him and he will knock right out but the second you try to put him down without swaddling him, he's right back awake screaming and crying. Other than holding him, he will fall asleep on our bed, but I'm not too crazy about the idea of him sleeping with me for fear that something will happen to him. HELP!
We are swaddling him with an adult sized thing blanket but that scares me because there is so much extra cloth to it he might suffocate himself. And yes, I'm one of those paranoid mothers LoL

Micro_Kitty

Asked by Micro_Kitty at 1:21 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried letting him sleep on his stomach? As long as he can hold his head up good, and has good upper body strength, it's safe enough now to let him sleep on his tummy, since he can turn his head if he needs to. It'll make him feel more secure. My 2 little ones love sleeping this way, and they sleep alot longer too.
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 1:24 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I would just get a piece of material and cut it to the size you need...then keep swaddling. They love the feeling...it won't last forever...I would indulge him.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:40 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Can he roll over on his own? When my DD finally outgrew her swaddler around 7 months (and I was coming up with all sorts of my own swaddling contraptions just like you because she loved it) I would put her down without it and because she could roll over she would end up on her side or stomach and sleep much better than she would on her back. I was concerned about not being on her back to sleep but the doctor said as long as she can roll over on her own then it is fine. I would either hold out until he can roll over and then let him sleep on his tummy or side, or try letting him sleep with you for a bit until he gets used to not being swaddled and then transition him to a crib. If he's not rolling over and you want him to be, try laying him on a blanket on his tummy or back, then you and another person each gently lift a side of the blanket and help him roll over. My dd used to love this game and it helped her learn how to roll
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:38 PM on May. 19, 2011

• LoL Yeah he rolls he crawls he can pull himself up on things. And most of the time when I swaddle him and lay him in his crib he almost immediatly rolls to his side or tummy. But the SECOND that blanket unswaddles he is back awake VERY ill and wont sleep unless he's swaddled again. I'm just picturing him, two years old... still wanting to be swaddled LoL
    Micro_Kitty

Comment by Micro_Kitty (original poster) at 5:06 PM on May. 19, 2011