Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 part custody question

i am looking for how much it would be for guy to file for joint or visitation of a child and how much would it be for a grandparent to file for the same? if its a state by state thing its in Missouri?

Answer Question

Asked by Manda_Evans at 1:41 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 10 (382 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Grandparents have no rights so they can file but would likely not be given any sort of visitation unless the dad in this case was deceased. He would simply have to share his time with his parents.
    As for a man or woman the cost is exactly the same to file. If he is just looking for visitation he can probably hire a paralegal to do his paperwork and go in pro se and represent himself. If he isnt comfortable with that then he can hire a lawyer. If he lives in the same town or county usually they will take $500-1000 down and the total for a contested child custody case can run upwards to $3000--5000. It just depends if mom is going to cause any issue, if she forces it to go before a judge or what have you.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:45 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Grandparents' now have rights in every state. These "rights" are established by state law and are often referred to as; Grandparent's Rights, Biological Relatives Rights, Third Party Rights, and Psychological Parent's Rights.
    and are given there right to see the child after 90 days or more of being told know it was set in to law in every state in 2010.

    Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 1:54 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • contact the local county clerks office in your county or the county the child lives in and they can answer all your questions

    Answer by cara124 at 8:36 PM on May. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.