When starting a running regimen, what is a better goal

time or distance?

nmmama09

Asked by nmmama09 at 1:43 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Distance first, speed later. Couch to 5k is a great training program.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Time. If you are just starting, go easy. Jog (slowly), walk, jog, walk, etc. Work your way up to jogging longer stretches between walking. Don't take too big steps (can strain your hips and other joints). And give yourself days off to recoup when you can do nothing or just walk, swim or do some upper body weights or core work.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:48 PM on May. 19, 2011

• At the beginning I think distance. Just completing something is a huge accomplishment. Later you can focus on speed (time).
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:28 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Time, as in being able to run for 30 min or speed like running a 10 minute mile? If it's the latter, then definitely distance. Speed comes with time and doing it for awhile - once you've been running awhile, you can start doing things that will increase your speed but at the beginning, it will more likely cause you to be injured. You'll naturally get faster as you run more. If you mean being able to run for 30 min, I think that is an excellent way to start. I started running using the Galloway program where I ran 4 min, walked 1 min and did this for 30 min and worked my way up (google Jeff Galloway) Couch 2 5k is another excellent program!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Distance over speed, at first. Once you get things going, then you can start doing some speed work and drills. If you push it too soon, you can definitely get injured. Even without doing any speed work, my speed has gotten 2 minutes faster per mile since I started. I'm still not fast, but I'm finally to a point where I can really work on it (I just did my first 10K this month).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:13 AM on May. 20, 2011