Piercing and tattoos on children under 18...

My little sister is a freshman in high school and came home telling my family that a girl in her grade (which would make the girl 15) got her belly button pierced. Seriously? How can parents allow that?

campbellb3421

Asked by campbellb3421 at 1:46 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• We allowed DD (and offered too all 3 of my DS's) to have her ears pierced once in each lobe. But that is the extent of piercings and tattoos in my house until they have the money and ability to get it with out a parental signature.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My daughter is in junior high school and several of her friends have their belly buttons pierced. She asked if she could and my answer was "um hell no!!!!" I was shocked that so many of them do but my kid will not be one of them.

SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 1:53 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My daughter is 11 and has friends whose parents have gotten them piercings. No way would I do that!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:55 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Piercings....it would depend. Along with being okay with tattoos as long as they have meaning we were fine with our sons having pierced ears. As a matter of fact when they were 8, 6, 4 and 2 we got their left ears pierced. My 23yo went through a phase when he was 16 where he pierced his whole left ear, his eyebrow and his nose and we just let it go. He now just wears 1 earring in his left ear and his eyebrow, nose and tongue (which he got at 19) piercings have all closed up. Our only rule was no gauging until after 18 and thankfully none of them ever gauged their ears. My nephew was 19 when he got his ears gauged and his holes are huge...not attractive at all.
    Anonymous

• They have to be 18 in our house.
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 4:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

• In our house if you do anything permanent to your body you forfeit your college fund and must do it on your own.

Anonymous

• They have to be 18 in our home
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 5:25 PM on May. 19, 2011

• It all depends on the girl and her motivation. Does she want it to look sexy? That's a problem in my opinion. If she just wants to show some individuality, then I don't see the harm.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 6:57 PM on May. 21, 2011

• Starting at 12 my oldest girl got her nose pierced by 18 she had her belly, eyebrow, lip, a bull ring in her nose, 8 in each ear and another lip piercing. My olther DD had her belly done at 15. I see no problem with it...they can be removed, my oldest does when needed and there aren't any noticable holes. As for tat's 18 my only hard and fast rule.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:44 PM on May. 21, 2011

• I did. They come out. I dont allow tattoos though which is fine since it is against the law for a child under 18 to have any tattoos. But piercings? I dont have a problem with them. Like I said they come out and Id rather them explore their individuality now then later.

Answer by gemgem at 1:47 PM on May. 19, 2011