Speeding ticket question...

how much did your speeding ticket cost? I had a first offense going 13 mph over and got a $200 ticket. Just wondering if this is an average ticket cost or if it worth trying to get lowered. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• yep, that's what mine was in Texas 8 years ago. It is always worth trying to lower, go to court and ask the judge if you can have your fine lowered
    Anonymous

• I just depends on the county but that is high was it in a school zone or someplace where fines are doubled?
    NurseKlein

Answer by NurseKlein at 1:52 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Where i live anything over 10 is wreckless driving, so I'd say so....I think my last ticket i was going 8 over and was around $130, of course most of that is for "processing"
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:52 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Depends on the area you got the ticket in. My most recent ticket was for going 25 over and it was $247. My other tickets were for 11 over and 16 over and they werent anywhere near the last ticket but they were all in different areas
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:53 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Never gotten a speeding ticket, but if you were near a school or work zone I'm sure that's about right.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:53 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Sounds like you were going over 65 mph? In FL, you would have to be going that fast, or be speeding in a school zone to get a ticket that high. It doesn't matter how many times you get a ticket, they all cost the same. Look at your state statutes online to get an idea of what the penalties are. Or you can call a lawyer who specializes in traffic offenses.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 1:53 PM on May. 19, 2011

• It was 78 in a 65- the officer who pulled me over did not clock me going the speed and just handed me the ticket wo explaining anything to me. I am so confused! I'm trying to contact the clerk of courts to see about payment plans but she is never in...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:59 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If you decide to take it to court, what happens most often is they reduce it to failure to obey traffic signs. The fine will be about the same, but there will be no points on your license, thus keeping down insurance costs.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• How often do you get a ticket? If more than 1 every 3yrs, I'd actually go to a lawyer; it'd be about $300. But, if you don't get tickets frequently (ie, once every 5 yrs) you can take the driving class, it's $50-$75 for the class, plus the court costs (~$125). It'd be taken off your account, but you can't take the driving class again for another 3 yrs. For a lowered ticket - cost is ticket plus court costs. If you take your prayer for judgement, depending on the judge, they can still make you pay court costs, and if you get another ticket in the next 3 years, the prayer for judgement ticket goes back on your record.

Your current ticket would cost you $325-$375, so try 1 of the other options. I would personally take the driving class - about $200 total, and nothing on your driving record.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 2:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• This is my first ticket ever. I am 28 and have been driving for 12 years.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:14 PM on May. 19, 2011