If you formula fed, did you always sterilize the bottles?

I am using avent bottles for my 7 week old twins. I wash the bottles by hand or dishwasher and then sterilize before filling them. did you do this too? if so, did you do it for the whole first year, or just the early months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never did. Just washed

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I used the throw away liners.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• i only steralized the bottles after i opened them, for the first "wash" after that i just washed them by hand
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I did sterilize until a nurse told me that air dry is more than enough,
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I did with my first...and started doing it with my second but realized the dishwasher got pretty hot and did the job for me for the most part. Once a week, i would sterilize the nipples only...just got to be to much sterilizing everything all the time.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 2:06 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I sterilized prior to the first use by boiling them, and then I just hand washed or dishwashed after that but I didn't start using bottles until my dd was several months old and by then I wasn't really that concerned. I always kind of went with the belief that some exposure to germs is a good thing. Maybe not in the very beginning but by a few months old I think it's ok. To me, dishwashing is darn near as good as sterilizing because the water is so hot.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:07 PM on May. 19, 2011

• The dishwasher should be enough to sterilize them, if not,, well my son is 6 and still walking around,, LOL,, His doctor told me that as long as your hot water heater is set right, the dishwasher heats the water enough to kill the bacteria, just make sure to always use the "heat dry" setting! Congrats on the babies!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:08 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My kids have all been very prone to Thrush so, with my youngest I didn't give her a bottle unless it was fresh out of boiling water and she is the only one of my children that never got Thrush, I did it until 6-7 months old.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:14 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I washed them myself and let it air dry , I just wanted them clean with no residue left over from the formula it has a terrible smell if kept too long
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 2:15 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I only sterilized before using a new bottle, other than that i just washed and scrubbed.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 2:16 PM on May. 19, 2011