Did anyone ever try to tell you what to name your kid(s)?

I'm talking about when you did NOT ask? My sister in law had 4 girls so when it came to naming my boy she thought she should pick the name. Helloooo it was MY first child! I liked Damon John and she says "no Damian Dillon or Dillon Damian." This is coming from a chick that wanted to change each one of the girls names by the time they were 4!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Baby Names

• Yea my mom and my x-husband grandma both tried to tell us what to name our kids. It is kinda funny though because my first dd was going to be named Bridgette Alexandra, and my mom said it sounded like a dogs name and she would say here bridgette bridgette. I was so offended and hurt so we picked another name. Well that same dd had her little girl 2 yrs ago and she named her Bridgette Alexandra, so my mom still had to deal with the name she didnt like lol.

Answer by gemgem at 2:09 PM on May. 19, 2011

• a day after my DD was born, my sister told me that I should name her x rather than what I did and that there was still time.

I politely told her that I named her this for a reason and if she doesn't like the name,she can refrain from talking to my child. (I may have had a little PPD at that time, lol)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:10 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My MIL wanted me to name our child Linda after her if it was a girl...thank GOD we're having a boy and I don't even have to address the issue lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:10 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My daughter is October Rose. Family members, such as my parents, thought that we should name her Autumn Rose instead because October was too different. I am SO glad that we didn't. She would have been the 5th Autumn Rose born around here in a matter of a month if we had. Plus she's and October, she isn't an Autumn.
    And I would like to point out that October is real enough of a name that there is a movie with a character with the name.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 2:14 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Constantly! We picked one girl name and one boy name with each of our children, and didn't tell anyone what the name would be until after our children were born and their birth certificate papers were already signed. It cut down on all the unwanted "input".
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:24 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I named my DD Ayami Elizabeth and my mom had a fit... she said all the kids would make fun of her... I am glad I didn't listen... I don't know who is proudest of the name me or her... so far she loves it... and I love hearing the kids at daycare saying "Ayami your mommy is here... now I just have to come up with an equally great name for #2...
    AyamiLove

Answer by AyamiLove at 2:28 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I am not going to tell any nmaes we like until the baby is born and we announce the name. I just don't want to hear opinions.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:07 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Yes, my inlaws are the kind of people who think they should control EVERYTHING, especially my MIL. Sorry your SIL is putting you through this.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:08 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I never asked anyone's opinion except my dh and it took us forever to agree on a name for our ds....my sister suggested i name him tristian, lol no thanks
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:09 PM on May. 19, 2011

• no, they tried to tell me what not to name my kids by helping us pick names.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:09 PM on May. 19, 2011