MIL woes: What would you do?

My MIL gave me an old toddler toilet. Apparently she and her 2 younger siblings were potty trained on it as well as my SIL and husband. So the thing is like 60 years old! It's also wooden (wood absorbs everything), it is beat up and I just think the thought of keeping your child's toilet is disgusting. She came to visit for Resurrection Sunday and asked where the toilet was. We had a plastic toddler toilet in the liing room and another in my son's bathroom. She seemed offended that the old wooden toilet wasn't being used in the living room. I told her that he kept taking out the metal bucket and throwing it around. I didn't want him to break it, so I put it in the garage until he can treat things nicer. Now she won't leave the issue alone and told me that if I'm not going to use it that she will pay to hae it shipped back to her house. My husband told her that we will use it...but in reality it grosses him out just as much. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but it's disgusting. She seriously acts like the toilet is a family heirloom and I'm being evil by not passing down the toilet to my son. Ugh! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ship it back to her and call it good. Don't use something that gross in your home.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:10 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I would tell her again, you don't want your son to break it, that's why it is put away for now, but if she feels the need to pay to have it shipped back, you would be happy to obliger her! Or maybe just take it out when you know she is coming over? GL!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 2:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If you're not going to use it then just give it back like she asked. It does sound pretty gross but don't just let it sit or throw it out if it means that much to her.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 2:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Send it back and apologize to keep the peace. Tell her your son just didnt like using it and you are sorry if it offends her but it is what it is.

Answer by gemgem at 2:14 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Just send it back so she can pass it on to someone who'll appreciate it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:15 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I'm suddenly grateful I have never even heard of such a thing. I got the wooden high-chair. But a wooden potty? Egads. I'm trying to put myself in her place. Since she offered to have it shipped back, ship it back. You might simply tell her you appreciate the thought. Period. No need in giving her something to argue against, or that she will take offence to.
    swizzleday

Answer by swizzleday at 2:20 PM on May. 19, 2011