Combo feeding with only pumping sorry updated

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Not for supply issues just generally for comfort/emotional reasons based on our experience last time and it would probly only be for about 3 maybe 4 months so not long term.
No I'm not interested in anything else just pumping with supplementation or exclusive formula feeding.

Update

Sorry totally forgot to ask my intended questions.About when on your hospital stay would someone doing this start pumping? I'm a c-section mom so it would be about a 2-3 day stay. How would pumping work with the hospital stay do you think?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:25 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I pumped and gave only breast milk for 5 mos and then we started supplementing (I wasn't able to get my supply high enough) and I quit pumping at 7 mos.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:33 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I nursed and also gave bottles of formula. Whatever works for you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Maybe pumping and storing for a few days and just formula feeding while we're there,do you think that might work?
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 3:07 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My hospital was pro-nursing. There really was no choice. I had to nurse. I wanted to anyway. They would not give a bottle. I doubt they would approve pumping.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:19 PM on May. 19, 2011

• In the first couple of days, you only get colostrum... it really would be more of an exercise in frustration than anything else because the pump doesn't extract much colostrum.

To be honest... and I moderate a breastfeeding group so my saying this is surprising even to me... I have a feeling you might just be better off sticking with the formula because pumping can do an emotional number on you, being the legalized slavery that it is. Start as you mean to go on.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:24 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Most hospitals encourage you to give the baby breast milk in any way possible, so if you want to pump, they might even provide the pump and help you get started. They also realize that formula is a perfectly fine option, so they often also provide that. Are you taking any parenting classes or tours at the hospital? I'd just ask them straight-up how this will work and what they can do to help. If they are going to try to make you nurse or not support your decision in any way... well, you want to know that ahead of time.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:27 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I thought hospital's where supposed to be neutral on feeding practices? I know both the hospital and my doctor where very neutral on feeding and as long as his weight never did anything funny either was good. Ok the doctor who is also my son's doctor knew almost nothing about formula feeding but was still fine with whatever as long as they're getting fed.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 5:51 PM on May. 19, 2011