Ok ladies need your advice...

i asked last week the question about having dental work while being five months prego...well i changed dentist and today i went in thinking only one tooth and one filling. when he gave me the shots and started working he ended up filling another tooth which to me is ok because it needed to be done anyway but heres the thing my other tooth that i went in for was really bothering me he without my permission started a root canal and put a temp. filling in it until after the baby comes everything is fine now im home and just resting but i was upset that he would not even talk to me about it first he just took it upon himself to do it....what is your advice? is my baby gonna be ok?

Brit0001

Asked by Brit0001 at 2:33 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Any work that is to be done should be approved ahead of time. Not just done. What if you couldn't afford to have it done, or didn't want it done for some reason? A lot of dentists do unnecessary work. I'd be wary.
    Anonymous

• well my baby doc. nurse is the one who suggested him and he is very nice very nice staff but i did not like that at all i felt like we should have talked about it but maybe he knew i was nervous and was trying to keep me calm...?
    Brit0001

Comment by Brit0001 (original poster) at 2:37 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Maybe he thought that since you had the anesthesia already then all the cavities needed to be fixed. I think that the doctor didn't want for you to be having to come back. I've heard that anesthesia has side affects. The doctor was thinking about your wellbeing and your baby so maybe he thought you would only one trip until after your baby is born.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:41 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I would want to have heard the words "it is safe during pregnancy" before he just went ahead. If he was aware of your pregnancy and did it, I would imagine that everything is just fine, and please calm yourself by remembering that while we stress about one dose of medication or heating our lunchmeat to steaming, there are mothers out there on heroin and booze throughout their pregnancies. Our bodies are designed to protect the babies we carry. Try not to stress.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• do you know of the side affects?
    Brit0001

Comment by Brit0001 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't know the side effects. My dentist explain that dental work during pregnancy if required is a must but she specify on the use of anesthesia as little as possible. That's is why I was saying that the Doctor did all the cavities to avoid for you having to come back and require more anesthesia. The Doctor did what was necessary and even use temporary fill so you could be ok and finish the work after having your baby.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 3:48 PM on May. 19, 2011

• thank you for the info:)
    Brit0001

Comment by Brit0001 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on May. 19, 2011