Big bed advice please!

We just switched my son (almost 2) to a big bed from his crib ... last night I ended up laying down with him until he fell asleep, and then he slept through the night until 5:15 this morning (usually he sleeps until 6:30/7:00) I had him stay in there and he did fall back asleep but then the dog woke him up about 25 minutes later, so I let him get out of his room. Nap time he cried for 15/20 min and then fell asleep ... would you just let him get out of his room when he wakes up, or try to stick to his normal routine of times? Any advice welcome, thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep him on his normal routine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Keep his normal routine.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 2:41 PM on May. 19, 2011

• glad I'm getting other's input!! I was thinking that I should "reward" him for sleeping on his own by not making him go through 2 or 3 bouts of crying and being upset ... if it's close to nap time being over, I think I'll get him up, but I'm not getting him out of bed at 5:15 in the morning, momma needs some rest sometimes too!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:49 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Make him stick to his routine and he'll most likely be back to normal within a week.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 2:57 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Keep him on his normal routine. If he's afraid of falling out of bed you can either move the mattress to the floor or get a side netting/rail to help him stay in bed.

We had one simiar to this that just folded down that was just plain white that got broken by a big brother that couldn't keep his hands off.

Then we got one like this that will tuck away between the mattress and boxsprings. Again the big brother couldn't kee his hands off and she wound up falling out of bed and breaking her collar bone one day.

There is also this if his bed is not against a wall.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:07 PM on May. 19, 2011

• errr....I really should remember to edit my own posts. That first net/rail is what we had. The first one I found was a Disney Princess one.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:08 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Thanks rosehawk - we just put the boxspring and mattress on the floor against a wall, and I put a pool noodle under the mattress pad so if he was rolling in his sleep it was just enough to stop him (one of the best tips I ever got before we moved him ... it even stops me from rolling out of his bed!). I'm not worried about him falling out, he climbs in and out of it multiple times from what it sounds like, haha!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:10 PM on May. 19, 2011