What is your opinion on the subject? It's awards day at the end of the year and you have school age children, you as a parent feel you are obligated to attend.

So what is up with all the grandparents at these awards ceremonies? I see young parents with infants in carriers walking over a 1/4 mile because of full parking spaces and pushing strollers in the grass to get to the school. Once inside, young parents have to stand for 2 hours in the back of the auditorium because the first 3 rows are filled with grand and great grand parents who got there easily an hour early for a good seat. Maybe this is a vent, I dunno, but it just seems to me like the younger parents should have seats and parking spaces and MeeMaw and PawPaw should be somewhere else. Afterall, they've already raised their kids.
thankyou in advance for your thoughts. this just tees me off every year.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 2:53 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I am with you on this one, the parents of the child should have 1st choice not the grandparents.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:43 AM on May. 22, 2011

• I think it's great that grandparents want to go. Of course the older people should have seats! They can't stand like a young person.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:56 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Well Im a grandma and next year I will be the one taking my grandson to and from school. He will be attending the same school as my dd whose 6 yrs old. I will be at his awards ceremonies. I dont see the big deal myself. I like the fact my inlaws all come to their awards and I know my kids like seeing them there as well. My husbands entire family comes to the kids ceremonies too lol. I am talking aunts, uncles, grandma, grandpa, brothers, sisters and we cheer for them and all that. Just get there earlier. Thats my best advice after more than 15 years of dealing with these things.

Answer by gemgem at 2:56 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I go to all of my kids award presentations. Although I am considering stopping. They give awards to everyone, even the worst behaved. What happened to awarding the exceptional. If kids know that they can get an award regardless of any real effort, what is the motivation? Why try?
    Partouzard

Answer by Partouzard at 3:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I actually like it when my son's grandparents attend their events. In my town, EVERYONE attends this kind of stuff! Aunts, uncles, cousins. Maybe alot of these grandparents are actually raising their grandkids? Happens a lot.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 3:06 PM on May. 19, 2011

• well just think when you are a grandparent, you will get to sit....

This shouldnt be something worth complaining over... older people cannot stand as well or as long as younger people... besides the ones with infants and younger kids are usually up since they have to chase around the toddlers or walk ( or bounce) the babies.....

It should be seen as a good thing that there are so many grandparents...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 5:42 PM on May. 19, 2011

• You want the grandparents to STAND? It's first come first serve at school events. If grandma and grandpa got their before mom did, then grandma and grandpa get first dibs on a seat. I see not reason a YOUNG parent can't STAND, so the elderly may sit.
    Anonymous

• The issue isn't the grandparents showing up, it's the school not accomodating the number of people they have attending and either making sure there's room for everyone or limiting the number of adults per student.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:06 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I agree, if it's your child you should have a top spot.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:55 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I appreciate that grandparents want to come BUT There should be seating for everyone and just because little johnny has 12 people come see him shouldn't mean that I don't have a seat to watch MY child. We have a certain number of people who can attend events because of this issue.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:54 PM on May. 19, 2011