Do kids get emotionally unbalanced from having a father that is absent most of the time?

My kids father is constantly flaking on them and it makes my kids really sad. How does that affect their upbringing? I've tried talking with their father to make a schedule but not even the schedules he makes he follows. He doesnt even call when he isnt going to show up and if he does he hours late. Its been 8 years and he still doesnt get it. I just dont want our kids to be angry young man because of their father.I thought about restricting visits with their father if he cant get his act together. I am just so tired of having to deal with his Sh*t and having my kids upset all the time, it makes me sad and stressed out. Sometimes he goes weeks without seeing them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Breaking promises can cause serious problems. Document the heck out of everything and yes, restrict the visits immediately. He's had eight years to get his act together. If he hasn't done so by now he's not going to.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

• He is a louse. My husband travels for work, once for a year overseas. He calls or Skypes daily and always comes home when he can. Kids first.
    Partouzard

Answer by Partouzard at 3:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

• It can be harmful to them...my kids dad is the same way...a parent when HE wants to be,but my kids are used to it and dont really much care..he could never see them again and they wouldnt care...they dont ask about him or ask to call him when he goes weeks without calling and they are 1,3 and 5 so it's sad my 1 yo doesnt even know him at all he calls my SO dada...if it's upsetting your kids then sometimes it's best..I know easier sadi then done...to cut him out....they will adjust in time. good luck to you though
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:27 PM on May. 19, 2011

• It can really mess them up. I would tell him if he wasn't going to be a father 100%, don't try to be one at all.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:27 PM on May. 19, 2011

• It would be nice if he would be consistent. But the thing is life is not perfect and your children do not have to be emotional scarred from this. But the burden of that not happening is on your shoulders. If you are a loving, caring, strong parent then you will make up for him. I came from a home that my father beat my mother and then they divorced and we rarely saw him and we were dissappointed regularly. But my mother was great and I think I turned out pretty darn good. :) You can only control you and how your world is with them and teach them from the things that happen.
    Anonymous