Over-weight & possible congenital diabetes......

Ok I hate talking about this subject, but I what you would consider to be severaly obese. My BMI is 41. A week and a half ago, I did an ultrasound and I was at 28.5 weeks. My tummy measured severally larger than the normal and my son was weighing in at over 3 lbs already. The dr. said he wants me to do my glucose test this week because he thinks I have congenital diabetes because of how large my son is already. I am lost, I didn't have this issue with my twins, and this is a singleton baby. Any advice?

JohnsonFamily5

Asked by JohnsonFamily5 at 3:37 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think it would be Gestational Diabetes - I had it and my SIL had it with her last of 3 - they will talk you through what you need to do if you do have - its not as big of a worry as you might be taking it right now. Its more of a diet monitoring which will also help with healthy weight gain. Good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:42 PM on May. 19, 2011

• The Glucose Tolerance test is to check for Gestational Diabetes & most everyone has the test. I recommend getting on a healthy eating schedual now. If you fail this one hour test then you have to take a three hour test. They draw blood every hour for three hours. Then if you fail that, you have to moitor your own blood with a meter 2 hours after each meal & see a nutritionist. Then there are medical issues for you & the baby. Stop all Carbs NOW! No Sugary foods or white breads or rolls. NO pizza. Eat whole wheat & grain breads only, eat fruit, low fat meat & veggies & cheese. Drink milk & eat dry roasted nuts for snacks. GL!
    Anonymous

• (congenital means you were born with it)
    Anonymous