My 17 year old son, Aiden wants to get a matching tattoo and tongue ring with his girlfriend, How should I handle this?

My son Aiden is seventeen and him and his girlfriend, Lyssa want to get matching skull tattoos and tongue rings. While I must tell the truth, I too had a tongue ring in high school, I also ended up pregnant. My husband and myself told Aiden no but we are not sure just saying "No" will work. We have all been teenagers are one point and we always find a way around rules. Should we maybe call Lyssa's parents over to talk to the kids together about this? I'm worried Aiden will ready go through with it.

SouthernPeachxx

Asked by SouthernPeachxx at 3:43 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I allow piercings, but no tattoos. I figure the piercings can come out. Tell him he can get a tattoo when hes 18.

Answer by gemgem at 3:44 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Maybe try talking to the other parents first. If that doesn't work, tell him if he wants one he can get it when he's out of your house.Your house, your rules.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:45 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Tongue ring doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up teen parents. I had one when I was 19. I had my daughter at 27.

He can do what he wants when he is 18 and out of your house.

Matching tattoos with a girlfriend is never a good idea. What happens if they break up?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If you are comfy with the tongue ring then say yes to the tongue ring and no to the tat. Or no to both. He isn't 18 yet after all. Good luck!!!
    Anonymous

• I'd say NO until he's 18 and/or not living under my roof
    Kids don't think about the future regarding jobs. A tongue ring isn't going to go over well at an interview

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:44 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I would not pay for either. If he's working and making his own money, you may have a problem stopping him, although I would hope he would respect you enough to obey your directives on this.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:45 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If it were my kid, I'd let him get a piercing, no tattoos, I'm heavily tattooed and its a big decision. You can't just get rid of them, and with matching tattoos he's 17 and not going to be with this girl forever so everytime he looks at that tattoo he's going to think of her even after they are over.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:47 PM on May. 19, 2011

• not just real sure about where you are, but i know in texas you cant get a tattoo until you turn 18 even with parent consent the tattoo shop can still loose its license... idk about piercings though...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 3:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• i guess it depends on the kid. For me, my dd asked for those things too and the answer was just plain old "no" if when she turned 18 and she still wanted to do it then it was up too her. My dd would never have gone and got it done once I said no. And when she turned 18 she talked to me about the tongue ring and I told her what I thought about it. It's gross and annoying every person I know is constantly clicking it on there teeth. She thought about it and then asked about a tattoo and I told her what I thought about that. They are there forever so choose wisely and maybe you don't think about this now, but some day you may want to get married and where a pretty white dress so keep in mind where you put your tattoo. She has a tattoo now on her stomach and no tongue ring. At 18 they can do what they want just give them good advice and hopefully they listen. push and they will do just to spite you
    Anonymous