When do you begin brushing teeth/gums on a baby? I have NO idea what to do for oral care on a baby.

How do you clean your infants mouth out? Do you clean an infants mouth out? Do you brush their gums?

How do you do oral care on a baby and where do you generally find out information like this?

I am due in Feb and know little about raising an infant.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 12:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started at birth, just swabbing their gums with a clean burp rag after every feeding. Once teeth erupted I'd bruse their teeth with a fingertip brush twice a day. After they had a good set, I'd graduate them to a brush only because the idea of putting my finger in there with those chompers wasn't a good one anymore. :D
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 2:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• just use a clean warm washcloth and rub it on his gums, i stated around 3 months so when he does get teeth he know that is what you do-they also have gum cleaning for babies without flouride! but warm water is as good.my peditration told me this -thats always the best preson to ask if your not sure
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• There are special baby tooth brushes that you just slide on your finger with special toothpaste which they can swallow I know the orajel ones come together in a pack and has instructions....I started brushing my kids gums at three months old. I also replace the toothbrushes every few months. We brush everyday, sometimes twice a day. My mom thinks I'm crazy because they are just baby teeth but I don't want to send my kids to school with really messed up teeth plus it has just become such a part of the bathtime routine that I'm sure they will be so used to it they won't fight me on it when they get older and hopefully always have healthy teeth :)
    badd_kitten

Answer by badd_kitten at 1:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• They sell special brushes that you just slide on your finger and it has little bristles, there also is special toothpaste for babies that does not contain flouride. Make sure you start when they start teething, sooner is just fine too, and it's best to brush morning and night as you would yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I started using the little orajel slide on finger brush and the toothpaste that came with it when she was like a month old which is when she started teething. I do it in the morning and before bedtime.
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i started at 3 months and bought a gerber baby brush and toothpaste set. my daughter loves it. its good to start them early!
    blueeyes71883

Answer by blueeyes71883 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2008