Questioning faith

Please watch this video prior to answering the questions.

How do you feel about the message in the video? As a faithful person, have you ever experienced something similar, only to remain faithful or become more steadfast in your faith? If so, will you speculate as to where you think this couple went astray? Have you read The God Delusion? Or The Christian Delusion? If not, would you? If not, why not?

If you too went from theist to atheist, why do you suppose it is so hard to "come out"?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 3:49 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Religious Debate

• "I doubt I'd ever read the books you listed because I don't like titles like the God Delusion or Christian Delusion because the titles are condescending to people who do believe a certain way"

I couldn't agree more. It was also not an ideology that made sense to me, but I also understand why it does for some people. But books like these, that instead of wanting to share Atheist ideology as something positive are aimed at demeaning different beliefs just show me that the author's theories and ideas are too weak to stand on their own. I'm not a person interested in ridiculing the ideas of others, even those I find illogical. Just because they don't make sense to me, that doesn't mean that they don't make sense to someone else and it's disgusting to claim that those that believe differently are "delluded". Funny how that attitude comes from a person who claims not to need a higher power to tell him what's right.

Sha
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:48 PM on May. 19, 2011

• How do you feel about the message in the video?

As a Christian who has asked tough questions of faith and sought out those answers, I can say that the message of video 1) gives the false premise that Christians follow their beliefs unquestionably and 2) that they sought answers under their own intellecutal capacities. God is simply not something fallen man can understand by himself. Fallen man requires enlightenment by the Holy Spirit. Simply looking for answers isn't enough to receive the understanding the Spirit - you must recognize your inability to understand and ask for understanding. The contradictions that so many speak about in Scripture are not contradictions at all.

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:36 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Tell me what the video is about and I'll click and watch. Otherwise no.
    Anonymous

• I studied many different religious paths before I continued down the one I'm on now. I still enjoy reading and understanding other belief systems. I have no problem with atheism I understand the reasons for it.   It just never fit me.

I doubt I'd ever read the books you listed because I don't like titles like the God Delusion or Christian Delusion because the titles are condescending to people who do believe a certain way, so it doesn't make me want to pick up the book and read more. I'd rather just read a book about life lessons from an atheists that weren't also negative about other beliefs. I feel this way about all books.

As far as the video I'm glad this couple is content and happy with the beliefs they have now because I feel the same about mine.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:24 PM on May. 19, 2011

• You already know my history. I came out about 6 years ago to my family... Oh, if people can answer this honestly, this could be interesting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:58 PM on May. 19, 2011

• 1. i think the message's video is great. everyone should feel free & safe to believe openly whatever they believe. & asking questions is an important way to truly understand what you believe.

2. yes, ive asked myself every question & answered them honestly. i no longer think the Bible is perfect or God's inerrant words, but i still believe in a Divine creator. in fact, while my faith has changed i feel it is much stronger now that im honest w/ myself instead of living someone else's faith.

3. I dont think this couple went astray, but rather came to different conclusion than i did. the video made it seem like they jumped to atheist a little quickly (instead of seeking other faiths), but i really dont know them.

4. i will never read the God Delusion b/c i find Dawkins to be an a-hole, to put it bluntly. i refuse to read anything written by someone so arrogant. the other book id be willing to look into reading.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:08 PM on May. 19, 2011

• As a faithful person, have you ever experienced something similar, only to remain faithful or become more steadfast in your faith?

Have I had tough questions? Absolutely, I have. What did it do to my faith? May faith grew for a couple of reasons: 1) because I was seeking out the understanding of the Holy Spirit and not just the way the Lutherans (or Baptists, or Catholics) saw it, I was able to step back from my faith and understand the truth of Scripture. 2) Seeking brought me closer to Christ, because I began to learn truths that I wasn't even looking for, or that reaffirmed what I already knew to be true. I began to see Christ work in my life and saw the parallel between my experience and Scripture.

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:40 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Have you read The God Delusion? Or The Christian Delusion? If not, would you? If not, why not?

I have not. Just really no desire to. I have heard Richard Dawkins speak a number of times and I find the man to be intellectually dishonest. He committs many of the same fallacies that he accuses Christians of, and he does it in a condescending way to boot. I supose if I wanted to write a rebuttal to him, that I would take the time to read it, but that's already been done with The Dawkins Delusion.

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 6:58 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Anon, it's about a couple who were raised very religious who began to question their faith, the bible, etc.
    clarity333

Comment by clarity333 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I'm constantly learning and cultivating - no, I haven't had the doubts that they have, and my faith has remained strong. I don't believe they "went astray", I believe they found what works best for them, and that's fine. I haven't read the God Delusion, though I plan to someday. From what I've read of and about Dawkins, though, he's just as trapped in the fundamentalist mindset as the most adamant Christians are. So I speculate that I can't agree with his arguments because I don't see faith the same way he does, since I reject much of the same things he does. I just see that that way isn't the only way to believe. Again, I haven't read it yet, but *from what I've seen about him/it* I think he's just as narrow minded as some of my fellow Christians. That doesn't mean I won't at least try to read it, though.

And I do suppose it's hard to "come out", especially if one lives in a family/community where faith is important/stressed
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:03 PM on May. 19, 2011