Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when doc's dont want to diagnose your child???

My son has problems in school every day. The school says its not there problem because it doesn't affect his school work but all his school work is coming home for me to help him with. I'm basically teaching him and there getting payed for it. The school calls me up to 5 times a day yet they wont point me in the right direction.


I have always thought my son has autism in a slight form, maybe ADHD, sensory issues and sensitivity to noise. Hes been to counseling and it didn't help, hes had therapy, we went to a psychologist and they refused to see him because hes 5. were going to another psychologist on Monday. He has behavioral problems and doesn't think before he does or says something. i have a friend who works with kids with autism and she thinks he has slight autism. last year he was in a small classroom and did fine but know hes in public school in a class of 25 and its nonstop phone calls from them. i had to pick him up from school today because the teacher refused to let him back in class yet he was not suspended. please help I'm at my whits end.


Asked by witchmom05 at 3:56 PM on May. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 4 (38 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • I am surprised that no one else has suggested this yet, but have you considered that your son may have some reaction to ingredients in processed food? I hear about this stuff quite a bit when parents discover that artificial food dyes or other ingredients are affecting their ability to concentrate/cooperate in the classroom. My good friend just went through 6 weeks with her ADHD daughter on the Feingold diet, and she said, "ADHD no more." You would not believe what a different it can make to discover this! Check out this website:

    Answer by nepenthe429 at 11:24 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Second opinion.

    But don't go doctor shopping. There may be nothing medically wrong with your child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • What do you think is wrong with your child that he warrants a diagnosis? Honestly, a pill is not a quick fix if that's what you're looking for.

    More info needed ... what does the school call you about? Behavior?

    Is this your first child? You are aware that more and more of the burden of homework/teaching has been placed on the parents in recent years, don't you? It may not be right but if that's what's happening, your time will be better spent helping your child rather than complaining the school isn't doing their job. It sucks, but that's reality.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • I really think Doctors can diagnose IF there is a problem. It isn't right to EXPECT them to do it your way and agree with you---they are the ones with the Medical degree. He needs consistent dscipline and encouragement to listen and do well at school.

    Answer by minnesotanice at 5:48 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Change doctors until someone actually wants to figure out the problem.

    Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:58 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • What sort of problems? Behavior? Getting work done? Self-esteem? More details please...not sure how to answer. Could a counselor help? Would be glad to help..

    Answer by mkdirector2011 at 4:00 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • What IS your son doing in school? There isn't enough information in your post to fathom a guess as to what's going on or why the doctor won't do anything for you. He may honestly believe there is nothing wrong with your child. OR he could feel that the issues are so small that a label could hurt him. If you really believe there is an issue here, take him to a second doctor, but you may simply need a tutor... Or if you feel you're doing everything anyways, why not try homeschooling?

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:03 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Try having him tested through a mental health facility. They are the ones who do the testing for learning disorders. It may just be something simple and not a major problem. Medical doctors don't want to get involved unless meds are needed.

    Answer by admckenzie at 4:09 PM on May. 19, 2011