Why is homework such a hassle???

I get so frustrated dong homework with ds, 6. He's in grade 1 and his homework consists of practicing slepping words and reading a book. Once a week he has to do a journal entry about a book. In total we could have this done in 1/2 an hour. It dosen't matter what time we start he get's so upset and angry that he has homework. I get it I didn't like homework either but I tell him let's just get it done and over with.
We've tried right after school, after dinner, before dinner. No time seems ideal. He will come home and play, have a snack or even a rest before doing it and that doesn't have any effect either. I've just sent him to his room to calm down and me to mine. We just had an argument over the word drole (he's in french immersion) he kept saying boite (because there was a pic of a box I assume). I'd tell him that he should look at the work again, get's upset, it's boite! You're not looking at the same work I am. We're both worked up after getting him to understand the right word. I'm only human and will not stand for my kid to yell at me about a school book. So it was time out for both of us. But this way homework takes us hours.
I've also not done homework with him and he didn't care. I would point out how poorly he does on his spelling when he doesn't practice and how well he does when he has practiced. If he dosen't real a book he does get to move up in the level reading and I don't record anything in his book and he get's a prize when he's read so many books. He just doesn't care. I don't know am I doing something wrong?
My dd, 5 and in Senior Kindergarden get's 2 worksheets a week and it's not enough for her, I have to print work sheets off the internet or from our own books at home. I've repeatedly asked her teacher for more and have since given up and make our own because she just loves it.
What else should I try with ds????? I'm totally at a loss as to how to make homework less of a hassle. He will also sit on the couch or anywhere he wishes to do his work with a clipboard, but that only works for a week or so at a time.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 4:02 PM on May. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try breaking his homework assignments down where it doesn't seem so overwhelming for him. Believe me, i share your pay b/c my son doesn't like to do homework; but, i started breaking his homework assignments down and allowing him to have breaks during homework time and things have gotten better. Good luck, luv!
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:04 PM on May. 20, 2011

• I'd say give him half hour break once he gets home from school - preferably have him run around and let off some steam, no tv or video games at this point, and then it's homework time. Homework done = the rest of the time is his, he gets tv or video games (for whatever your time limits allow), to play with toys, read for fun, whatever. Homework not done by bed - punishment. If he chooses NOT to do it - fine, he can sit in his room on his bed, no toys, no books, nothing.

Anonymous