My 19 mos. old has a midnight bedtime

I've tried to get my daughter to go to bed at a decent time but always seems to get switched back to a late time. Much later than I like to go to bed also. My daughter and I co sleep most of the time but has been showing interest in wanting to sleep in her bed (a mattress on the floor). I'm all for it but she wakes up much more often throughout the night which makes it hard on both of us. As for the time she seems to have always been a late riser and late at getting to sleep. She takes one nap a day from 2-3 hrs and sleeps solidly through that, but the time of day which she takes a nap varies also. Do I just need to accept my daughters late schedule or is ok to move things up to an earlier time and if so how do I go about that?
Thanks!!

MomOfLibs

Asked by MomOfLibs at 4:09 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cut her nap down to no more then an hr. and a half and make it the same time everyday...usually after lunch...wake her up in the morning...dont let her sleep in too late and then she will go to bed earlier...My 13 month old is on a schedule...he wakes up at 6:30a.m has a nap at 1 wakes up around 2:30 and goes to bed at 8 that is during the week...on the weekends he wakes up at 8 and goes to bed at 9 nap time is the same
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 4:21 PM on May. 19, 2011

• he gets a morning nap from 8:30-10 on the weekdays as well
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 4:22 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Ease her into a new schedule - start waking her up half an hour earlier than she'd normally get up, have a set nap time (like 11-2) and if she doesn't sleep, don't let her later. Put her to bed half an hour earlier. Or, wake up an hour earlier so she's more tired. Either way, wake her up, don't let her nap late or longer than the 2-3 hours, and she'll be more receptive to going down earlier. It will probably take some time, but if you don't get the battle out of the way now, it will be worse when it's time for her to start school.
    Anonymous