Looking for financial advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my husband works 6 days a week 10 hr shift  with 14 an hour pay... we have 4 kids so groceries are $200 every 2 weeks... $362 a month car payment that we need 2,880 left on it... gas is $15 water $65 power $120 rent $175 cell phone $140 internet $30
we are sooo broke trying not too overdraft... i wanna put my daughter into school and its like 500 a month... i do a hobby on the side where i make mayb 100 a week... where r we going wrong that we r COMPLETELY broke!!!!!!!!!!! i need help.... gas kills us cause we live in los angeles and his job is in anaheim... $60 to fill up his tank so thats 80-100 a week..
does anyone know a higher payong job? or any advice would be helpful thanks!!!!!!!!!

family in the van

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• get rid of the cellphone, internet, and don't put your daughter in school yet if you already struggle as it is. use coupons at the store and look for deals/savings.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:14 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If you can't completely dump your cell, go for a bare-bones prepaid plan. Mine is $25 a month.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:16 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I USE THE INTERNET TO SELL MY STUFF... I AGREE WITH THE PHONE.... I DONT DRIVE SO THERE ISNT A PRE-SCHOOL AROUND HERE THATS FREE... THEY JUST TOOK THEM ALL OUT OF THE PUBLIC SCHOOL AROUND MY HOUSE :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:18 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I agree with tnm786. That cellphone bill is outrageous! Water is pretty high too- are you doing things already to save on power and water? If not, I suggest turning off lights when you leave a room, take shorter showers, don't leave water running when you're brushing your teeth or washing dishes, put a 1 gallon jug of sand in the back of your toilet to save water there... Sounds like you're already on the lowest plan for internet, so I'd cut the cellphones and use something like iCall- which is a free phone service using your computer speakers and mic. Hope this helps!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:23 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Straight Talk (by Wal-Mart) has a VERY reasonable cell plan... It's not a contract, but is $45 per month for unlimited talk, text and web. Can't beat that! Start clipping coupons (Sunday paper can be VERY handy) and start tracking every dime you spend. I wouldn't put my child in a school for $500/month. I'm sure it's a great school (at that price, it better be!) but you can't afford it. If you start tracking every dime, you'll figure out where it's all going. You'll be surprised how much is being spent that isn't necessary. I'm sure your hubby eats lunch while at work... My dh spends $5-8 5 days a week! That's too much...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 4:25 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Dump the cel and internet. Keep track of all of your cash expenditures - you would be surprised how fast money disappears on nickel and dime stuff.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

• SORRY I SPLIT THE BILL WITH MY PARENTS WHO LIVE IN THE BACK HOUSE... BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK I AM GOING TO HAVE TO START KEEPING TRACH OF EVERY NICKEL AND DIME!!! MY HUSBAND DOES BUY FOOD AT WORK... IF WE ARE TO SAVE ANY MONEY HES GONNA HAVE TO EAT SANDWHICHES EVERYDAY... LOL... WHAT IS CHEAPER MAKING FOOD FROM FRESH INGREDIENTS OR BOX AND CANS?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:53 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Ditch the cell phone ... it's almost as much as your rent. Believe it or not, there was a time when none of us had one and we got along well without it.

School for your daughter can wait, especially since it's pre-school. Again, there was a time when a kid's first school experience was kindergarten, not pre-school.

And I echo what tasches says ... track every penny ... you'd be surprised where your money goes.
    Anonymous

• Fresh is cheaper.....but you have to buy in season....after fresh I would go with frozen, before canned, etc.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:07 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Start a garden to save on groceries, lower the cell phone plan, drop internet and use it at the library instead.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:48 PM on May. 19, 2011