My son is 23 months old he woke up thismorning with a really runny nose, the mucus was green to begin with but is clear at times too. Taking his temperature in his ear ranges 94-95 degrees and I havent gotten a rectal reading over 95.9. Do you think its serious?

blakesmom06

Asked by blakesmom06 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I woudln't ask that question on here ask the doctor it may be hes sick we dont know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I am only asking other moms opinions, I am not asking someone to be a doctor for me. I thought that was what the point of this is, to get other moms opinions on something you are questioning, Sorry if I was wrong.
    blakesmom06

Answer by blakesmom06 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I don't think it's serious. He's probably just got a little cold, it's that time of year. My 4 month old has had a cough and runny nose for a month and I just took him to the doc for the 3rd time...they just keep saying "it's a cold" and won't do anything. So, if he runs a fever tht won't break with Tylenol then I'd be worried. Or, if he acts different, like lethargic
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Yes. Anything other than clear mucus is an infection. It can be brownish, greenish or yellowish. That is an infection. He needs an antibiotic.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Thank you for your input, his temp is back to normal today, he is in a good mood and the mucus is clear now. It is probably just a cold and as long as he seems ok we are just going to let it run its course.
    blakesmom06

Answer by blakesmom06 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Recent studies have shown antibiotics usually aren't needed. Even for green and yellow mucus. They only shorten the infection by a day or two. It usually clears up on it's own. It's always better NOT to use them if possible so yay for you! I'm glad he's feeling better. Although I was kinda curious though - is it normal for a temp to be that low??

sjanel

Answer by sjanel at 4:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Just keep an eye on his drainage as yellow or green is usually a sign of infection.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2008