Am I wrong? kind of long

Okay so this is my situation I am 28 years old and finally received my GED last year after 8 years of working towards it, yes it took a long time because I had three kids within those years anyway my fiance is still working towards his GED. I have graduation for my GED but he does not want me to go because he does not have his. I do not want to miss my graduation because I feel like I worked really hard and I want my children to see me graduate with my GED, I think he is being a bit selfish because when he earns his he will also have a graduation and I will want him go. I am also a college student and will earn my degree next year now what if he does not want me to go to that graduation?? I am confused and not sure what to do because I feel like he should be happy for me and want me to attend my graduation and support me but instead he is making it about him. HELP

Mommi2four2011

Asked by Mommi2four2011 at 4:48 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• Good for you mommy! Way to go! Screw him, go to the graduation. Let him knows what this means to you.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:49 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I think it says a lot that he doesn't want you to go. I would never marry a man like that.
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 4:51 PM on May. 19, 2011

• He SHOULD be proud and want you to have the experience of graduating. I would talk to him and explain why you want to go and that you feel he should be supporting you if he still has a problem I would rethink the marriage. If he can't be happy for you if you succeed when he hasn't or not yet then you will have more problems down the road.
    Anonymous

• You are not wrong. I think you should tell him exactly what you said. Maybe he is embarrrassed that you are getting yours first. I would reassure him and tell him how you feel. You should go to your graduation!! it is never to late to achieve your dreams and your kids should see how important it is to you! Congrats!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:51 PM on May. 19, 2011

• You should definitely go...This is your achievement and he shouldn't be making it about him. He should want you to attend and be proud of you for your accomplishment...just as you will when he achieves the same goal. No one there is going to know or care that he doesn't have his yet...not like he is walking around with it tattooed on his forehead. I really hope you decided to go to your graduation, you deserve it for all your hard work.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 4:53 PM on May. 19, 2011

• you should attend your graduation. that is a great achievement and example for your kids.{never say never}hopefully your DH will understand
    5heartbeats

Answer by 5heartbeats at 5:32 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Do not let him stop you from going.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:58 PM on May. 19, 2011

• He might feel jealous or that he is'nt smart enough because you are moving on and educated at first you were on the same education level now your not and he is scard you might leave just let him know you need his support and nothing has changed.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 7:22 PM on May. 19, 2011

• He's selfish. You go and let your children see you walk across that stage with confidence. You done good! Don't let your fiance deprive you of something you've worked so long and hard for. Congratulations to you!!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Thank you ladies for all your positive support, I spoke with him earlier and told him I am going because it is important and it is for me and if he did not like it well to bad for him! he agreed and is going with me to support me :)
    Mommi2four2011

Comment by Mommi2four2011 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on May. 19, 2011