My 14 yr old has an awful friend that is disprespectful to me and rude about me behind my back. How do I deal??

kutlirs

Asked by kutlirs at 5:00 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Nip it in the bud.. Do you hear these things, and she thinks you dont? Then next time catch her in the act & let her know that is not how people are treated in your house.
    And then maybe u can push it a bit further & let her know its time for her to leave for the day..

Talk to your DD & let her know the friend is being very rude & you expect better out of her & she better always treat adults with respect! And ive even ask my dd why she lets others talk so negatively about me. How would you feel if my friends talked negatively about you. Maybe it will help if the shoe is put on the other foot a lil.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

• she doesnt need to hang out with that girl anymore than that is just not right!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:01 PM on May. 19, 2011

• or boy..
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Well, it's hard to control a teen...the more you say no the more that person becomes attractive...plus they go to school together
    kutlirs

Comment by kutlirs (original poster) at 5:02 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Well you can try banning her from being friends with her, but if they go to school together it isnt something you will "win". I tried that with a couple boys my son hung out with and even asked the principal if there was a way to keep them seperated and was told no. You can try though, but if she still hangs out with her at school she is going to pick up those habits herself. Personally I would let it be and have her say something rude again and then lay down the law in front of her and the friend. That is what worked best with my son. He said I was embaressing lol but I got my point across and those boys never came back.

Answer by gemgem at 5:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• yah, I thought about saying something in front of my son, but didn't want to embarass him. This kid calls me by my first name when I'm not there. He's such a jerk.
    kutlirs

Comment by kutlirs (original poster) at 5:06 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If a teenager was rude to me in my home I would let them know right then and there that kind of behavior was not acceptable. I would tell them they are welcome to visit but only if they can be respectful. If you tell them not to come back that could just lead to your teen spending a large amount of time at the friend's house. Other than that...idk...Good Luck!!
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 5:06 PM on May. 19, 2011

• That kid shouldn't be allowed to go over, nor your kid to go over there. It really doesn't matter what they say when they're talking amongst their friends.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Kids are going to say whatever they want when you aren't around. But if they are in your house and in your presence then they should show you respect or get out. Do you want your child to treat you, or other grownups, the same way this teen is?
    onix

Answer by onix at 5:15 PM on May. 19, 2011