Moving out of state

My dh, 3.5 yr old son and I are more than likely moving to California from Texas to stay with my family there. It just seems like we are stuck in a rut and no progress is being made no matter how hard we try. We currently live in a 2 bed apartment and I have no clue how to begin going through things and starting to sell stuff. We will be flying out but will have to ship a few things that will not be able to go on the plane. Where do i start???? What do i need to make sure is done before we move? (We will mostly end up being evicted from our apt due to no money coming in for rent)

dreamangel06

Asked by dreamangel06 at 5:03 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Oh wow I'd start by having a drink lol.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 7:27 PM on May. 19, 2011

• start by finding the cheapest national moving company
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I would put things in a sell pile as you pack what you are going to take. I would let the apartment manager know you can't pay rent and will be moving out, make sure you leave the apartment clean.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 5:27 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Put the stuff you plan to take in one room. Advertise the rest of the stuff or have a yard sale. Unless you have high end brand new househould stuff it really wouldn't be worth shipping it (I speak from personal experience).
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:12 PM on May. 19, 2011

• @chiquis my dh is lucky i dont drink lol i would have been drunk sooo many times since he lost his job in feb lol.

@PPs, we are going to sell almost everything, my parents house doesnt have the room for our things along with thiers but they will help us get things again whenever we get able to move out on our own again. I also wont know for sure until Sunday if we are going to go, but hopefully we wont get evicted before then. Our apt manager has been very good with working with us.
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I would say pack up essentials and then just start posting everything on Craigslist. Good luck! It sounds like you guys could use a fresh start.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:16 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Try a rent controlled housing or getting on housing through the state you live in the subdize rent.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 9:51 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Make a place for things you can NOT live without (pictures and whatnot) like in a cloest, from there decide what can be thrown away, sold, or donated, all put in seperate areas. Start by talking to friends that might be interested in buying things you have, craigslist is a great way to sell things but might take time, a yard sale or an open house type of thing, you could also donate what doesn't sell but you dont have room for or cant afford to ship. Good luck!
    musicspeak4me

Answer by musicspeak4me at 10:17 PM on May. 19, 2011

• check into cheap moving co's I hear pods is reasonable. start by getting some boxes together, go through things in each room each time, keep out the few things your going to need, like some plates, cups, silverware, shampoo, etc and some clothes. pack away what you want to keep and then figure out what you dont really want or need. if you can try to yardsale it put it in one pile, if you just want to donate it, put it in another, once you have filled up donations drop them off. good luck, also ask a friend to help, its always easier when you have extra hands
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 11:31 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Go room by room and figure out what you don't need anymore. If you haven't used or worn it in six months, put it in a SELL pile. Hold a yard sale or put it up on Craig's List. When you've sold all that you can, donate the rest to Goodwill. This should bring down quite a bit of stuff for you to pack.

From there, go through each room and pack up all the non-essential things. Go ahead and pack up your plates and kitchenware and use disposable stuff like paper plates and plastic kitchenware. When you get groceries for dinner and whatnot, get pre-packaged frozen meals (not like TV dinners, but the other stuff) and throw it in the microwave or oven to cook. Stouffer's has some awesome meals for a pretty good price (if you shop at Walmart; they also match the prices of their competitors, so you can do all of your grocery shopping there).

After those items are packed, it should be pretty easy to get everything else done.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:59 PM on May. 19, 2011