Legal question

actually 2.....

if someone who works in collections uses the companys software to lookup your private personal information (for personal attack only) what types of laws (state?federal?) does this break?

does anyone know what the consequences for such a crime are?

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 5:30 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• Depends on the type of debt you're dealing with. They are allowed to look up anything in order to find you.. Say you have an ex husband and they find him and not you. They talk with him he says whatever he wants and gladly hands over your # and or address so they can find you. I would suggest finding a lawyer, I know prepaid legal costs like 26 buck a month and you would get a free consultation and they could write a letter telling them to stop all future calls and probably get his/her job taken away so he/she could never do it again. My friend does it, you can get ahold of her if you want more info.... KimberlyLBishop@prepaidlegal.com She's a close friend and is always willing to help people in a rough spot!
    Anonymous

• federal
    I dont know what can happen but hopefully thrown in jail for along as time for misuse of personal information
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:31 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I don't know. I hope it isn't happening to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:06 PM on May. 19, 2011

• No idea but I gave you a bump.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:44 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Collection Agencies are bound by Federal law. You would hard-pressed to find proof unless his job caught him. If they use it then you can get them with ID theft. Consult your local DA and ask them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:47 PM on May. 19, 2011