Are the effects of Mirena the same as symptoms of pregnancy?

I've had Mirena since Oct. 24th.
I bled from Oct 24th to Nov 30 or somewhere around there.
I am craving steak. I am craving McDonalds. I want to eat every Reeses Mini PB Cup from here to Philadelphia.
I am crying at little insignificant things.
I am hungry alllll the time. I eat a whole meal at 10am and I'm staving by noon. Where does all that food go???
My breasts are sensitive.
I'm getting a tummy.
Should I bother taking a pregnancy test?

I know this is stupid because you can't get pregnant on Mirena and you can't be pregnant if you bleed. But what is going on then? I have that....pregnant feeling... This is when I found out I was pregnant with my son last year. Could I just be uh, feeling that?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 12:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i would go to the dr and get checked out, personally i would get it taken out if i were you.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 1:03 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I have Mirena too...the doc says it takes about 3 months for your body to adjust. My periods have been all out of whack. You can take pregnancy test, but they should've given you one before you got it. Also, you can get pregnant on it, just not SUPER common. Did you go in for your placement checkup?
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• That sounds exactly like just about every woman I know who has been on the Mirena, which is why I am not a fan of it. I suggest having it removed. Another birth control to avoid is Depo Provera cuz you'll experience about the same thing, if not worse.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 1:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I went in for placement checkup and she said that the strings were in place. The catch is that I've lost my health insurance and we make too much for medicaid. So, I don't want to go to the Dr. until I have to. I asked the dr and she said that I shouldn't have pregnancy symptoms. But...I feel crazy. Heck I am crazy, I spend my life with a 4 mo old who pulls my hair and pees all over me! I can't be pregnant! Right?
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• So...the cravings and eating all the time and all that is normal? Oh thank God!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I have a 4 month old too. I got mine put in 10/2. I would say you sound more like you are PMSing to me then pregnant. I think it's been a long time since we've had "normal" symptoms before our periods. I crave a lot of chocolate and peanut butter before mine. Do you breastfeed? Could be why you're so hungry too if you are. Boob soreness goes along with period stuff. You can take one to rest assured but I highly doubt it. I'm still kinda crampy from mine but I'm starting to feel more normal
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• See I'm not crampy at all. PMS isn't something i've considered since my pd just ended a week ago.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• With Depo I had no bleeding at all. well once I did but the dang Nurse didnt do it right. and then I only bled for a few days. then didnt at after that.As far as eating all the time and gaining weight i didnt but then again I excercise every other day. on top of chaing kids around.

OP Get your Iron level checked. I know mine is low when I feel like i have to eat a steak or burger or other red meat. Not to be funny about it but eating alot makes you get a tummy. Go to your doctor and get checked out.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 10:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2008