How can I get my two year old to be quiet while her sister is sleeping?

She always yell, scream, and throw fits while shes sleeping.

letlovegrow2524

Asked by letlovegrow2524 at 5:42 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think you should make her be too quiet. The baby will sleep better if she's used to the noise. Just keep her out of the room where the baby is if that's an option

Answer by admckenzie at 5:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't let the baby get used to sleeping in total quiet. Just redirect the other child to a hands on project or pop in a movie or feed her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:58 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Some white noise in the room where her little sister is sleeping could help buffer the problem. If you are less stressed about the chance of the baby waking, you are less likely to be tense about "stopping" behavior (which is a resisting of them that leads to counter-resistance on their part and makes the behavior more likely.) There are cheap white noise machines/clocks in addition to other household options.

You can go on encouraging a shift or change of course, but if you are not as tense/upset (because of the white noise assistance) you won't be as focused on the negative. Whatever you focus on (and if you're all about "don't scream" or "stop making noise" or "that's too loud," then you still are focused on screaming, noise, and "loud") you get more of.

The main thing is the shift in you (away from resistance), but I know that can be really hard if you are stressing or feel powerless, which tends to make you more angry.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:51 AM on May. 20, 2011