Should i let my daughter keep talking to her imaginary friend?

Shes 5 years old and going to school with other kids in do it all the time even if she with friends.

Alimaya20

Asked by Alimaya20 at 5:59 PM on May. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When did she start that?
    Have you talked to her Dr about it? I don't see the harm in letting her.. I mean how would you stop her anyway?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:00 PM on May. 19, 2011

• should you "let" her?? as if you have some control over this??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:01 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I mean like is it like normal for her to do that while around other people
    Alimaya20

Comment by Alimaya20 (original poster) at 6:03 PM on May. 19, 2011

• she started since she was 1 years old
    Alimaya20

• Imaginary friends are normal. As long as she isn't saying or doing things her 'friend' told her to do that are mean or dangerous there is nothing to stop.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• the doctor said she would stop soon as she gets near some friends to talk and play with but i guess it didn't work
    Alimaya20

Comment by Alimaya20 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• i agree with the other mama's
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 6:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Do you believe she really maybe can see someone or maybe its just an attention thing? I believe kids are more capable than we are in those area's... I wouldn't discourage it- maybe just tell her to ask her "friend" to stay home when she goes to school - it could be a comfort thing for her too. I don't think its "normal" but very much not uncommon either if that makes sense.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:04 PM on May. 19, 2011

• hm honestly I am not sure of when there is a point of taking it too far. Have you tried a google search to read up a bit on it? I would start with a google search & maybe asking her teachers to see what they may think. Start there then if it seems that it may be an issue of some sort speak with her doctor to see where to go from there. That personally is the order in which I would try to figure out what to do. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:06 PM on May. 19, 2011

• she said her imaginary friend told her to hate my boy friend because hes a bad person or something so i just told her to not do that because she can hurt people feelings and she said its not her fault
    Alimaya20

Comment by Alimaya20 (original poster) at 6:06 PM on May. 19, 2011