Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sore, red skin in genital area

My 4yr old son has had raw patches in the crease where his leg meets the groin area for months. He also has rawness under his penis to the point where it is breaking open. I called the doctors office and the nurse blew me off saying he was probably just "playing with his new toy" too much. That was over a month ago and it has not gone away. It has gotten better with diaper rash ointment but as soon as I stop using it the redness comes back. Today it is really bad and I tried neosporin o it but am not sure it will work. Any ideas? I really want him to see a doc but obviously they don't have the same level of concern as I do. (I can't just switch docs cuz we are military and have to use the base clinic)


Asked by cat1622 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

Level 9 (357 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • The nurse was TOTALLY inappropriate and I would def. be letting someone know. You are doing all the other mothers and kids out there an injudice if you do not report this. It sounds like he may have a yeast infection (yes boys can get a yeast infection). Call and make and appt. or take him to an after hours clinic off base.

    Answer by mistynights234 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • Posted on your other one.....but wanted to post it here too:

    He might be allergic to the elastic in underware. I would buy him some little briefs or boxers and see if that helps

    Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • i would take him in to be seen. dont ask the nurse, just do it.

    Answer by bubblebean at 1:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • and also, I dont think 4yos play with their new "toy" like that anyway, if they did they wouldn't play with it to the point of skin breaking open.

    Answer by bubblebean at 1:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • Sounds like an allergy, I would switch him to briefs and also use some powder in that area for a while to see if it gets better. I would also recommend you taking him to a clinic that might be available for you as well.

    Answer by pupmom at 11:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • Sounds like an allergy to me too. My daughter gets the same way with the wrong diaper.

    Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

  • He may have a fungal infection and needs some Nystatin called in for him. My son had something similar after a bad diaper rash..he needs to be seen. I would call and tell them you want him seen and now! Then when something is wrong tell the doc that his/her nursing staff is practicing medicine over the phone and it needs to stop!

    Answer by salexander at 1:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

  • My son had a rash like that for about 6 weeks, and I kept trying different creams, changing the brands of diapers, wipes, all that. He has always had very sensitive skin so at first I thought it was from that. I even called a couple of times and the nurses always told me to just try a different cream or whatever. I did, and it would start to go away, then come back. Finally I took him in, and he ended up having a yeast infection. I didn't even know boys could get those! Might not be what it is, but I would definately have him seen because if it is, it can be treated very easily.

    Answer by mom2XandZ at 2:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008