I know I can't do anything about it YET BUT...

I'm pregnant with my 2nd child, I'm due on Jan. 1 ,2012!! by then my son will be almost 2.5. I am worried that he will be very jealous of the new baby. Do you have any suggestions on helping him get used to the idea of a new baby in the house?? I know when baby comes that both dad & I need to make sure to spend quality time with him one-on-one but what else can IDo beforehand (when my due date is closer)? He is a very aggressive lil man and I don't want it to be too much of a battle! Thanks in advance for advice.

MommyYeoman

Asked by MommyYeoman at 6:35 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Buy a baby doll and teach him about the things that you will be doing with the baby when it is born. Teach him about soft touches and quiet voices. Good luck mama:)
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 6:37 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Tell him about how cool and important is to be a big brother. Also, get him a gift "from the baby" when he first meets the little one.

You'll be telling him "wait, I have to help the baby." so tell the baby "wait, I have to help (your boy's name." too right infront of the boy so he canhear it.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 7:32 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I'm there w u! My son hits n bites n is very jealous when I talk to others. I've been talking to him about the baby and including her in conversation. Mommy, daddy, ds n baby will go! I also continue to call him my baby n he will sometimes say bye to my belly when he goes w dad somewhere. The other day he offered my belly a cheesestick! So cute. Other moms have told me not to push him to giving her a kiss or getting him involved when he doesn't want to. Let their relationship grow at their pace.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I really like that idea!! Thanks a ton!
    MommyYeoman

Comment by MommyYeoman (original poster) at 6:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• You are welcome:) It helped with my children! LoL I accidentally answered this question under a different post as well...
    ]
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 6:40 PM on May. 19, 2011

• lol yeah I saw that it made me giggle :)
    MommyYeoman

Comment by MommyYeoman (original poster) at 6:42 PM on May. 19, 2011

• >.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 6:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I am pregnant with #2, due in October, and DD will be 3 1/2. She is already learning about the baby, I've showed her pictures and videos of brand new babies, and talked to her about how they need a lot of attention. I tell her about all the great things she'll get to do to help out with the baby, and how she is going to be such a good big sister. We read books about it, (I'm a Big Sister- I am sure they have I'm a Big Brother out there too). Really as long as you talk to him about it, starting early, he'll understand pretty well once baby arrives.

If baby is going to be in his room, or be taking over his room (like in our case), make sure you get him used to the idea NOW! We moved DD into her new room when I was only 6 weeks preg. to make sure she didnt feel like baby was taking her room. Get him EXCITED about the baby!

Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 6:56 PM on May. 19, 2011