• In the Spotlight:

What can I do?

I'm pregnant with my 2nd child, I'm due on Jan. 1 ,2012!! by then my son will be almost 2.5. I am worried that he will be very jealous of the new baby. Do you have any suggestions on helping him get used to the idea of a new baby in the house?? I know when baby comes that both dad & I need to make sure to spend quality time with him one-on-one but what else can IDo beforehand (when my due date is closer)? He is a very aggressive lil man and I don't want it to be too much of a battle! Thanks in advance for advice.

MommyYeoman

Asked by MommyYeoman at 6:37 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Buy a baby doll and teach him about the things you will be doing with the baby after it is born. Teach him about soft touches and quiet voices. Good luck mama:)
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 6:38 PM on May. 19, 2011

• let him bring you diaoers, when changing the baby. Also, let him help pick out stuff for the baby's rooms, help paint, ect.. Make him apart of everything you can. Getting him excited about the upcoming birth. I agree, with the buying a baby doll, so he can know, what to expect.
    We had a little suprse, my younger two are only 18 months apart. Ya, and remember, special time with the big brother. I use to take each kid once a week to the grocery store one on one - they got to pick the cereal for that week or something. Make them feel like they got some decisions in the house. LOL
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Have him help with everything and make him feel important and helpful. My kids were not jealous because they were a part of helping me with their new baby, new brother. And my grandkids were the same---they helped their mom with getting clean diapers, wipes, clean clothers,etc. And they felt so grown up,being part of the family who could take care of the new baby. They only get jealous if they are ignored.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:24 PM on May. 19, 2011