Public or private school? Please Read and Comment! :) thanks

A friend of mine posted on facebook a question and got me thinking here is her post:

Saw Waiting for Superman and it got me thinking.With Ethan going into the 2nd grade is a public school education in his best interest?Yes we live in NISD,but having gone to both public and private schools, I know first hand the quality of education is vastly different.So the dilemma I now face is do I keep him in NISD?or do I look into private,parochial,or montesorri schools. Thoughts?
My Grandpa (who I miss terribly) spent well over 75K on my education (not inlcuding college)...did I get a better education than those that didnt have this opportunity? With unions, contracts, teacher tenure, and ...student tracks; I am now very worried about the decision I made to put my child in a puiblic school...I have made choices to live where I live so he had the opportunity to go to better public schools....most of you know I grew up on the south side...and what I was learning in a public school in HS I had already learned in a private school in MS :O Please weigh in your thoughts....I am very curious to see what everyones opinions are as we all have very diverse backgrounds....teachers, lawyers, stay at home mommys, etc. where do you stand?

newmommie091

Asked by newmommie091 at 6:46 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I went to a private school.
    I attended college, and have a degree in engineering. However, I'm a SAHM now.

My DH, also went to a private school. He's a public admin for the gov't.

My daughter will go to a private school.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 6:49 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My kids go to private school. I decided to put them in private a long time before I saw Waiting for Superman, but that movie reaffirmed my decision.

Dh and I are products of public school.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 6:54 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I think that as long as you are involved and you help him out he should be fine in public schools until he gets older. I know for me my son, who is gifted, had no problem with public school until about 5th grade. WE did leave him in public schools for 5th and 6th grade although next year he will go to a public charter school. My oldest son is there now and it is a much better education than what my son was getting in public. I will say that once they hit high school at least were I live, they are changed and pushed a lot more. So I gave my son the option of his brothers school, home schooling or private school.

My DD who had a massive seizure last august and ended up in coma has a different problem. She needs extra help right now and if she was in a parochial school then she would not get the help she needs. While I am not totally happy with the public school they are helping her. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:54 PM on May. 19, 2011

• we homeschool
    Anonymous

• My little sister was going to a smaller, religious private school. Her grades greatly increased and she was understanding things better. She and my parents liked the private school better than our public schools, the teachers seemed to care more etc. However the second car broke down and there was no way to get her back and forth. She's now back in public and hates it, and she's relearning things.

Where DH and I live now, the school systems are very bad, Hawaii is horrible at education. So we will either homeschool or find a private school to send them too, but we should be changing stations in 3 years so I'm not too worried about that yet as we don't currently have children. (TTC)
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 6:57 PM on May. 19, 2011

• We are in the highest ranked school district in our state; my oldest is off to college in the fall and looking back, I have no problem saying the public school system is sorely lacking. My issues deal with the fact that school in general is a socialistic system; designed to move as many people through as possible, with no thought to consequence or individual strengths and talents. Tenure should be abolished. We never considered private school for numerous reasons so I can't really comment on that. If I could go back in time, I would have definitely homeschooled.

Having said that, my siblings and I all went to public school in a good school district, each did very well, and all became VERY successful in our respective careers. So part of me has to say that the type of education only plays a partial role in what our outcomes may be.
    Anonymous

• the g-dude lives ina good district so he goes to public school. the g-chickies are in a lousy system so their mom home schools them
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 7:10 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I went to 13 years of Catholic school because the public schools in Chicago suck. I only made it through 2 years of college before I quit and then got married a couple years after that and have been a SAHM ever since. My brother also went to Catholic school and flunked out of his 1st year of college and was basically homeless for years.

My kids went to Catholic school for 3 years. When we moved away from Chicago they started public school and were so freaking far behind it was sad. They've been playing catch up all year long and are, by far, getting a better education at their public school here in WA. They will never go to a private school again. My dad paid the tuition which was $800/month. That's almost how much our rent costs. Next year I have 4 kids in school. We could never afford it and I'm more than happy with their public school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:18 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I went to public school, I believe that I was getting a good education is Texas. When we moved to GA, our lives and family went downhill. We have moved back to Texas and I believe that our children are getting a good education in our local public school, we only have 2 private schools in our area and they don't test any better than our public schools.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:22 PM on May. 19, 2011

• my kids moved from public to private school in the 3rd and 4th grades. My son, who public school wanted to let him skip a grade.
    I love the fact that they are tought religion, and of-course my son is challenaged. Unlike public school.
    I love the smaller class size and the one on one teacher / student. Everyone knows, everyone.
    MORE then all that - in public school in Texas, the entire year they stuidy for TASK testing. The teachers only worry about how wll the kids do on this state test, because that gives them a good grade on that school system.
    In private school they do more learning... More hands on.. More field trips... NOT just study for the TASK testing.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:41 PM on May. 19, 2011