Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Someone calling court house pretending to be me..

My ex and I have a case in the court house. He filed for visitation last year and NEVER shows up.. He filed for modification for more time and still NEVER shows up. We have a court date nearing and I was calling the court house to see if he filed anything else and what the court date. I also was askig about getting a speedy hearing I have a restraining order against.. Well today when I called the court house they tell me that I just called in.. I said uh, no... they said yes you did and you spelled your name out just like you are doing now.. I have a made up name that NO ONE has... well the lady on the other end said well someone just called saying they were you inquiring about the same case!

I asked what can i do to prevent this and they tell me I cant really do a thing since court cases are public anyway.. I have a feeling my sneaky trashhy ex has a girl friend tha he is having call the court house and pretend to be me..

I have no idea what she might have been saying or trying to..what can I do?

also, in court cases they never ask for id beore you enter for a hearing and I am scared he will have some girl pose as me. When you file something and req a court date you must mail the other parties copy yourself and everytime he files something and sets a court date I HAVE NO IDEA and have to frequently call the court house to find out. If I didnt call yesterday I would not have known that he filed yet another modification and a speedy hearing in a couple of weeks.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • Always be one step ahead of her.

    If you have a lawyer, i would ask him what you should do

    Answer by samurai_chica at 7:12 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • There has to be a solution to this. See if a lawyer will answers your questions about this for fee. No one should charge for those basic questions. If not go directly to the court house and ask around about who can help you ensure that you get the papers you need & that no one can come in & pretend to be you. Maybe put some kind of marker in your file that to verify it's you they have to ask a certain question only YOU can answer. Wish I could be more help.

    Answer by Amysan2 at 7:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • strange that you are not notified of case date
    this doesn 't sound right at all!
    person who files does NOT mail out court ordered anything-has to go through proper legal channels

    i would be calling a lawyer to ask your questions
    also should be able to find one for free consult even if over the phone


    Answer by fiatpax at 7:22 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • i'd call a lawyer and visit the judges secretary in person... and call anyone else who will listen..

    Answer by girlglow6 at 7:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • @ Fiatpax...Here in my state if you file something, even an answer to a complaint you yourself have to mail it out or you yourself have to call a sheriff to deliever it. I hate that an I tell them he wont do it, and they told me well then you have to come to the court and get it yourself then... This is a major pain for me..especially when I cant take days off of work.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:42 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • where are you from what state?

    Answer by traren at 7:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • MA

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:43 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • wow well I'm sorry my state it's not like that at all.

    Answer by traren at 8:05 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Talk to your lawyer if you have one, but the only idea I have for you is to have it in your paperwork or whatever that you need to give a password in order to get your info - it's something YOU would wet up with them, they couldn't give any info to anyone except you and only using your password. But definitely go lawyer with this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on May. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.