Are you in a rush to give your kids antibiotics for strep throat?

Just wondering how many moms take the advice of a doctor and give antibiotics for strep throat if their child has had strep more than once within a few months. Has anyone had the experience of it just clearing up on its own?

ilovepoms

Asked by ilovepoms at 7:14 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• omg get the meds! i've had strep and it HURTS!! I wouldn't even consider NOT getting antibiotics for strep
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:16 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I have NEVER heard of strep clearing up on its own and it is terrible!! I do not give my children antibiotics for viruses as they will not work but for strep ALWAYS.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 7:19 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My eldest boy got rhuematic fever from not taking antibiotics for strep throat and now has permanent heart damage. So definietly NOT worth the risk!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:25 PM on May. 19, 2011

• (yes, the sore throat cleared up on its own, but then the rhuematic fever hit and it was too late to do anything about it)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 7:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I've given it a week to see... simply because I wasn't sure if he actually had strep or not. It has never cleared up on its own, although his ear infections have.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

• well considering how contagious strep is....yes I would give my child the antibiotics.....rheaumatic fever used to kill people before antibiotics...certaainly not worth the risk to me.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:47 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Strep is bacteria so yes. Antibiotics are a good route.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:53 PM on May. 19, 2011

• If my kid is sick and tests positive for strep, I take the meds in a heartbeat - with 4 kids and a school that's always got something going around, I'm not going to chance it and I'm not going to be the parent sending my kids to school sick with no meds. Strep is one thing I don't mess around with.
    Anonymous

• In my house, YES!. My older son had kidney problems that came from strep because it went untreated for at least two weeks. We didn't know he had it though. He never complained. We found out when his urine turned brown (from blood) and was then tested. My other son had it, never complained, my daughter had it, but she complained, and I got it. So many health problems can come from strep throat if not properly treated.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:38 AM on May. 20, 2011

• Strep yes, other stuff not so much. My pedis hand out antis for anything n everything.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:42 AM on May. 20, 2011