How bad is it getting wisdom tooth extracted?

MY wisdom teeth has been trying to emerge for some years now and finally they are ready and I am scared! Yesterday my gums started getting real sore and I noticed a flap of gum over my tooth and its now painful to chew or bite because one tooth is biting on the swollen gums. I read that the swollen flap can lead to infections, bacteria and food can get caught underneath. I read that I can have the flap removed but if might grown back... So I just want to extract the tooth and be done....

So my questions...
Is it really bad? I was told root canal was horrible but I didnt find it bad at all..
I can tolerate pain and disconfort pretty well. When I had my daughter I went to the hospital already 8cms dialated with contractions were every 2 mins and I was calm as can be and only got the epidural right before pushing. So I am a tough gal!

other question... Do I have to be put to sleep or have to be sedated?
I dont want either..

Last questions.. what is the normal length of down time following this? Since its already thursday chances are I wont get it done friday. I want it out asap with no time off from work.. is this realistic?

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 7:16 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Health

• my dh got it done a month or so ago. he got 1 pulled. they sedated him, when i went back there when they were done, he was passed out. they had to help him to the car (protocol but he did need it lol) but he was coherent....he passed out on the way home. he was not happy when he found out he couldn't eat solid food...his plan was to get a huge burger, since he hadn't eaten in a long time beforehand. he brightened up when he realized he could have ice cream though....it was about a day and a half he was doing better but still in some pain.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:21 PM on May. 19, 2011

• It depends on how old you are. When you're a teen, your wisdom teeth have not developed deep roots yet. After about 25, your wisdom teeth roots grow real big & far into the jaw bone. I had my last one out when i was 28...BUT....my wisdom tooth root developed a "hook" at the end of the root & they had to literally chip my jaw bone away to get it out.

The healing process was one of the most painful things i have ever experienced...EVER...it hurt more than giving childbirth with no [ain meds & i can vouch for that.

If you are older, prepare for pain. if you are still under 25, there is a good chance they'll be easy to take out. When i had my first 2 taken out at 22.....it was super easy & there was no pain at all. I waited to long to get those other ones out & the roots grew much bigger & began to hook at the end.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:24 PM on May. 19, 2011

• During the procedure not bad with the shots they give you, a lot of pulling, it is after that you feel like you got hit in the face with a wrecking ball you should be be given med for that , but putting an ice pack on in the area should help. Keep mouth clean that is key, rinse with warm salt water. They will give you what to do instruction. Cant eat for a while.

sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 7:25 PM on May. 19, 2011

• the length of downtime depends on your tooth & how easy it is to extract. If they have to chip at your jaw, like they did me...your healing will take about a week, BUT...the actual hole it leaves in your mouth takes months to close up. But, it doesn't hurt after the first week anymore....

When they x-ray you, they'll tell you how it looks & whether or not it will be an easy extraction...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I had mine out with a local anesthetic, but that was 20 years ago. I was shocked at how quickly they got them out; Like a second each. I can't remember taking any time off work. The only thing is mine were fully grown in. good luck.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I was fully sedated and it took me 3 days to recover- although I think I reacted badly to the anesthesia- I was barely coherent for those three days. I had 10 vicoden and that was enough for those three days, and then I went back to work on the fourth day.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

• they can easily do it with local anesthetics (Novocain), there is not need to be put down for a wisdom tooth removal. They may offer laughing gas if you want it...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:30 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I was put to sleep for mine, but I'm happy that I was because when I woke up it was all over! I was a little sore for about a week but I swear to you, it was not that bad! I was actually shocked at how good I felt afterward and then when the stitches dissolved all the wisdom tooth pain was gone. I was relieved. Good Luck!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• samurai_chica I am over 25 :( lol

Thanks everyone for the answers.. I am scared and just want this over with!
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 7:39 PM on May. 19, 2011

• You made me feel alot beterr Namaste17
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 7:40 PM on May. 19, 2011