Does anyone have a bipolar mom? if so how do you deal?

bipolar, parent

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Health

• Yes we are pretty sure my mom is Bipolar although she has never been diagnosed (that we know of). I havent figured out a way to cope to honest with you. Its always touch and go. I get so tired of her lies.
    Anonymous

• my husband is most likely bipolar but will not go to the doc for a confirmation of this. it runs in his fam. I don't know that there is "one" way to cope. With my hubby I just try not to ask him "what's wrong" and "are you okay" and those kinds of ?s b/c it always sets him off. It is hard though. just hang in there hon.
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 7:32 PM on May. 19, 2011

• First thing is you have to understand that you can not "fix" her. Second is, you have to keep your own personal boundaries so that you don't get sucked into the cycles. It is very dificcult to have a parent that has bipolar disorder, and can sometimes be confusing about how you should feel about them. It might be beneficial to speak with a counselor to help you with your own coping.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:34 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My mom is an unmedicated biplar. I don't talk to her. She is mean.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:46 PM on May. 19, 2011

• yes my mom is..and I prob am too.. moddy.. mean one minute nice the next... its hard.. I just ignore her when she is mean.. but now is being mean to my kids so I dont let them be around her when she is in one of her moods
    reyreybella01

Answer by reyreybella01 at 7:49 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My grandmother and ALL THREE of her daughters, including my mom, are BPD. As am I. You just go one day at a time, there really isn't any trick to it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

• You learn how to deal with bipolar personalities; it's difficult and its a rollercoaster but eventually you can figure it out. That, or just keep your distance.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:19 PM on May. 19, 2011

• my birth mom is, but I have never met her because I was adopted so I dont know.
    Amanda272011

Answer by Amanda272011 at 11:13 PM on May. 19, 2011

• moved 1800 miles away
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:06 AM on May. 20, 2011