My daughter hates being confined by a high chair/car seat. Help!

Ok, so it might not sound like that unusual of a problem, but my husband is very concerned and I'm starting to ask questions. Whenever we put our 19 mos. old in the car seat or high chair, she puffs out her chest and holds her breath until she gets pink and seems to be applying a lot of pressure to the process. I thought at first that it was just one of those things that kids do, but my husband insists that it is not normal/healthy. He has even said that it is an autistic tendency. She passed the autistic test at her last appointment with flying colors... Do I have reason for concern or is this a normal reaction?

missskrisss

Asked by missskrisss at 7:41 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry about it. Kids do crazy things. My son has held his breath until he passed out.
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 8:06 PM on May. 19, 2011

• well my daughter does that when i put her into the carseat too, but she has no choice lol. would she prefer a booster seat instead of a high chair? my daughter is the same age and she uses a highchair for mealtime, but she sits in her 3yo brother's booster seat everyday for coloring, etc. then she would not feel so confined and may enjoy mealtime more. i have the cooshie booster i think i ordered it from one step ahead. it works great
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:08 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Her way of trying to be in control?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:10 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Autistic tendency?? No. Some kids just do that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:11 PM on May. 19, 2011

• A couple of my kids did that too, moreso when they especially didn't want to be confined. Normal, not autism symptom.
    Anonymous

• That's what I figured about the autism... As her mother I know she doesn't have it, plus I have her dr. telling me that she doesn't... The hubby just overreacts sometimes and I wanted to know if anyone else's kid did the same thing. It's whenever we strap her in, even if it's a booster. Probably just her way of wanting control. Thanks for the feedback! :)
    missskrisss

Comment by missskrisss (original poster) at 10:20 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My 23month old ds doesn't handle confinement well either ... we let him "help" with things. In his highchair, we ask him to clip himself in and put his bib over his head (this distracts him from what we're getting him to do too!), and in his car seat we ask him to clip one of the clips while we are doing the more difficult snaps and tightening it up. He does throw a fit sometimes, but then he doesn't get to help ... I just do it for him quickly and don't react to his screaming other than saying "Momma doesn't listen to fussing, if you want to help you need to settle down" and if he does settle down I let him do it, otherwise I carry on and shut the car door and don't react at all - he calms down quick when he realizes it doesn't get him anywhere!
    lotof2

Answer by lotof2 at 2:48 AM on May. 21, 2011

• Thanks lotof2, good to know it's not just my daughter! I'm sure this is just a phase they will all grow out of.....
    missskrisss

Comment by missskrisss (original poster) at 11:54 AM on May. 21, 2011