Does your family dislike your SO?

Ive been with my SO for a year now. everyone in my family HATES him.. My sisters said some pretty horrible things to him. He has said some stuff back but not nearly as bad as they did. I was stuck in the middle. I would fight with my sisters and him telling them both to stop the childish crap. he said i was takin their side and they said i was takin his. My dad finally accepts the fact that im not going to leave him bc they dont like him. I dont have anyone here but him. hes everything to me. My kids love him and his kids. i love his kids as much as i do my own. My sisters live close to each other and hang out with each other. they have their husbands to be with. I now dont talk to my sisters bc of this crap. any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• Everybody in my family loves my hubs. He really is a great guy and they can't believe he can stand me!!!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:50 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Don't worry about the negative opinions of others, especially family their judgment is their problem, not yours. As long as you are happy. My parents judged based on age but that's ridiculous.
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 7:52 PM on May. 19, 2011

• my family acts like my dh hung the moon...he didn't, he just lassoed a wild mustang..and he's stuck with her now!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:53 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My parents love my DH (we've been married 20 years) even though he's been physically abusive to me at times; but they still can't stand my sister's husband (they've been married 26 years) and it's so unfair. Okay, he's not well educated and his people skills aren't great, but he's been good to her, loved and cherished her every moment they've been together. I think it's cruel the way my Mom is always denigrating him and being nasty.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:08 PM on May. 19, 2011

• what is their reason for not liking him?

Yes, everyone in my family loves my DH & everyone in his family loves me very much.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:25 PM on May. 19, 2011

• They say he treats me like crap.. they dont c anything good he does for me or my kids. all they bring up is the bad stuff. he has done more for my kids then my kids father has and they dont c that..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My sisters husband had hit her and went to jail bc of it.. he didnt help with their kid when the kid was little. But yet they all like him.. i dont get it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:31 PM on May. 19, 2011

• They used to hate my husband! They never wanted to get to know him. We lived on a golf course and he showed up in a leaky truck. They looked down their noses at him for a long time. Then when we got married, they said we were too young and I was ruining my life. Now all these years later (we've been together 15 years, married almost 14), they love him. They did a lot of damage with the way they treated him for the first few years though, and I doubt it will ever be completely undone.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:56 PM on May. 19, 2011

• Have u ever talked negative about him to them? What does he do that they think is so horrible?
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:31 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My family doesn't like my DH because of some rumor that was passed around about him that was completely false! They also won't have anything to do with our son because he is living with autism, and refuse to educate themselves about his autism. It's okay, they are the ones losing out. Too bad, they are missing out on a GREAT kid and son and brother in law!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:50 PM on May. 19, 2011