Where do you live and is public pre-school open to anyone or income dependant?

i live in md, and the pre-schools here are income dependant. in nj they are mandatory and open to everyone. i was just hoping to get a feel for how it is in other places.

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:14 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I live in GA & we have free Pre-k. Pre-schools are are not free....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:30 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I live in WA and it depends. I just looked into a preschool/pre-K that is free (I think), IF you're low income. My son went to a district-affiliated pre-school/pre-k that was around $25/month. It has since closed due to budget cuts. I know that MANY kids around here go to a preschool/pre-k, for whatever reasons.

I'm starting to seriously consider this for my daughter since she's 4, knows all her letters and numbers by sight and can already write her name and some family members'. She is SO ready to go to school, but won't officially start for another 16 months.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:06 PM on May. 19, 2011

• There are private preschool/pre-k that you can pay for. What is offered by the public schools is for only those that have learning disabilities.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

• I live in Connecticut and I don't know about other parts of the state but in my area the public schools offer free pre-k regardless of income, though because so many families apply not every child is accepted and its basically a first come first serve type of deal. My oldest child didn't go to pre-k, my second DD has always had a little more trouble when it comes to authority figures like teachers (she's my rebel) so I thought the extra year of school would be good for her but I was one of the last families to apply and honestly believe the only reason my DD got picked was because of her age - she was 4 and 4 year olds get priority over the 3 year olds since there is a 3 and 4 year old pre-k class and because she had her older sister going into first grade in the same school.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 12:03 AM on May. 20, 2011

• In IL (where I used to live) there are school district (free) pre-K programs if your child is special needs or high risk, or there are Head Start programs if you are low income. Everyone else is on their own.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 1:30 AM on May. 20, 2011

• we live in Michigan and we had to pay for our oldest to go to preschool
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:42 PM on May. 21, 2011