Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

No custody order can she do this ???

there is no custody order or child support order my step son has lived with usthis november will be this november his mother is wanting to take him and move to california she has not paid child support and I can count on my fingers how many times she has seen him in almost 2 years
if she does take him like from school or whatver ( yes she's the type to do that ) what can we do to get him back ? could the cops do anything to help us ?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on May. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (13)
  • you could submit a request for custody and that would stop her from going anywhere if she wanted to contest it. but you have to put in the custody paperwork before she does..

    Answer by Camilletnt at 8:17 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • I would get a temporary custody order and fast because technically she could.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:18 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • You need to contact someone now and get the ball rolling.

    Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:18 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Your husband needs to file immediately for custody and warn the court she is threatening to leave the state with him. The courts can order her not to leave with the child. If she does she can be arrested. Without the order she has all the rights in the world. It is not kidnapping if there is no order.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:19 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • no if there is no custody order in place either parent can legal take the child....about all the police could do if arrest her for custodial interference......i say your DH/SO needs to get down to the court house and file custody papers right away....


    Answer by cara124 at 8:20 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Don't send him to school until you get a court order. Even if she did take him, she can't take him out of state without his father's consent since he still has parental rights which means the police can make her come back. However, without a court order, she can take him home with her from school without consequence and you'd have to take her to court to get him back. If you do send him to school, make sure his father tells the office he is not to leave with anyone other than you or him and he can not leave on his own. He must wait until he is picked up.

    Answer by MamaStuart at 8:23 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Yup agreed, file a thingy to stop her from leaving the state with with.

    Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 8:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • I agree...if there is no custody order, either parent is free to do whatever. You all need to go to court now.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:26 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • Have your husband file a TPO (temporary protection order) that will immediately give your husband temporary custody until a court hearing can settle the dispute.

    Just tell your DH to walk into the courthouse, talk to the clerk & tell them he wants to file a TPO for his son.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 8:29 PM on May. 19, 2011

  • File an order ASAP! That means as soon as the courts open tomorrow you find out what you need to do.

    Answer by layh41407 at 8:30 PM on May. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.