Zyrtec

My DD is 19 months old and has been suffering from very itchy skin for months. Her doctor had us switch her soap, lotion and detergent twice for I had to call and bring her in today. She tears her skin up at night and I can't see my child suffer, waking up crying because she itches so bad anymore. They finally decided on some form of treatment, zyrtec and hydrocortizone cream. They say it looks like contact dermititis which might be caused by the elastic in her clothing, diapers and socks. If this treatment doesn't work, we have to return in a month and if it's not better by her 2 year checkup, we have to see a allergist. Does anyone have experience with zyrtec? Did it help, how long did it take, any side effects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on May. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took Zyrtec when it was prescription and it was the only one that worked on me and my son who was 2. once it went over the counter, it just doesn't seem the same to me.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:45 PM on May. 19, 2011

• My kids have taken it for seasonal allergies...can't say I ever noticed any side effects, or even that it helped them much. I honestly don't see how it will help a contact allergy...I'm kind of surprised he didn't say Benadryl, that's normally what's used for contact allergies (among other allergy issues).
    Anonymous

• I was suprised also but they said this medicine will be in effect for 24 hours and she is itching around the clock. I'm just want my little girl to have relief:(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:03 PM on May. 19, 2011

• my son is on zyrtec daily for his constant runny nose from allergies. It helps to an extent but i can tell when the medicine wears off...good luck hope it helps
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 9:38 PM on May. 19, 2011