At what age do did you trust your daughter to shower without help?

Turning on the water, washing body & hair completely, etc. & doing it without mom coming in to check the long hair for suds or dry spots. Any tips, recommendations or anecdotes?

Gotoyourmoms

Asked by Gotoyourmoms at 8:40 AM on Jul. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have three daughters and they all have started showering about the same time -- around 7 years old. Obviously they are old enough not to fall, but really they weren't that interested until they were about 7.
    Frankie64

Answer by Frankie64 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My daughter is seven this sunday and our summer goal was for her to shower on her own - no more baths with mommy washing her hair. I don't think its getting washed as well as I would do it - is this the point where i need to step back and let her grow?
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 9:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I let my son shower by hisself, and he is 6. I just didnt think he was ready until a few months ago. He had to be steady on his feet, and unafraid of the water spraying in his face. I was more afraid of him slipping in the shower than anything else.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 11:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I guess I don't really remember.. I know they go thru this phase of not wanting to bathe... I remember going in the bathroom and checking the soap to make sure it was wet and had been used.. funny thing is, I remember my dad doing the same thing when we were that age~ :) Nice... Anyway, I would say just keep an eye out on them and maybe check in to make sure they are getting their hair completely rinsed, etc.. etc... Oh, and watch the razors.. My daughter decided to shave when she was about 8... Arms and legs...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• yeah...put the razors up high.....i used to take a bath with my son an as soon as he started bathing on his own he tired to grab the razors and shave his legs becuase he had seen me do it....luckilly no cuts, but he did have patchy legs for a few weeks!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 6:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2008